Transient heat transfer in a sphere

In summary, the problem involves a metal sphere with a heat flux of 5000 W/m2 and an initial temperature of 20 C, and the question is how long it will take for the sphere to reach a temperature of 90 C. The relevant equations are the rate of heat input being equal to the rate of heat accumulation, and the differential equation for heat transfer through the sphere. The person solving the problem is unsure how to approach it given the heat flux, as opposed to a constant external temperature. They have tried setting the heat input equal to the heat flux and integrating, but this gives an unreasonably short answer. They are wondering what the differential equation would look like if the surface temperature were constant instead.
rxd6656

Homework Statement

A metal sphere is subjected to a heat flux, 5000 W/m2. It is originally at 20 C. How long does it take to heat to 90 C?
D = 5 cm
density = 8522 kg/m3
cp = 0.385 kJ/kg-K
k = 104 W/m-k

Homework Equations

rate of heat input = rate of heat accumulation
-k*A*dT/dr = m*cp*dT/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done one of these where I'm given a heat flux. If this said that the sphere was exposed to a constant external temperature, I would have no problem solving it, because I have those solutions to the differential equations in the book. I'm stuck on trying to solve that differential equation above though. I know that rate of heat input also equals the 5000 W/m2 that the problem statement gives. But if I say that 5000 = m*cp*dT/dt, integrate and solve that for time, it gives me an unreasonably short answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
rxd6656 said:

Homework Statement

A metal sphere is subjected to a heat flux, 5000 W/m2. It is originally at 20 C. How long does it take to heat to 90 C?
D = 5 cm
density = 8522 kg/m3
cp = 0.385 kJ/kg-K
k = 104 W/m-k

Homework Equations

rate of heat input = rate of heat accumulation
-k*A*dT/dr = m*cp*dT/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done one of these where I'm given a heat flux. If this said that the sphere was exposed to a constant external temperature, I would have no problem solving it, because I have those solutions to the differential equations in the book. I'm stuck on trying to solve that differential equation above though. I know that rate of heat input also equals the 5000 W/m2 that the problem statement gives. But if I say that 5000 = m*cp*dT/dt, integrate and solve that for time, it gives me an unreasonably short answer.
What does the differential equation look like if the surface temperature were constant, rather than the surface heat flux?

What is transient heat transfer?

Transient heat transfer is the process by which thermal energy is transferred from one object to another, resulting in a change in temperature. This process is characterized by a time-dependent temperature change and can occur in various forms, such as conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is a sphere?

A sphere is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is perfectly round and has all points on its surface equidistant from its center. It is often used in scientific studies and calculations due to its symmetrical and uniform properties.

How does transient heat transfer occur in a sphere?

In a sphere, transient heat transfer can occur through conduction, where heat is transferred from one point to another through direct contact, or through convection, where heat is transferred through the movement of fluids. Transient heat transfer can also occur through radiation, where heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect transient heat transfer in a sphere?

The rate of transient heat transfer in a sphere can be influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the sphere (such as thermal conductivity and specific heat), the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings, the surface area of the sphere, and the duration of the heat transfer process.

How is transient heat transfer in a sphere calculated?

The transient heat transfer in a sphere can be calculated using the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the material properties of the sphere, the surface area, and the temperature difference. Additionally, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element analysis can be used to simulate and calculate transient heat transfer in a sphere.