1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transient heat transfer in a sphere

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere is subjected to a heat flux, 5000 W/m2. It is originally at 20 C. How long does it take to heat to 90 C?
    D = 5 cm
    density = 8522 kg/m3
    cp = 0.385 kJ/kg-K
    k = 104 W/m-k

2. Relevant equations
    rate of heat input = rate of heat accumulation
    -k*A*dT/dr = m*cp*dT/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've never done one of these where I'm given a heat flux. If this said that the sphere was exposed to a constant external temperature, I would have no problem solving it, because I have those solutions to the differential equations in the book. I'm stuck on trying to solve that differential equation above though. I know that rate of heat input also equals the 5000 W/m2 that the problem statement gives. But if I say that 5000 = m*cp*dT/dt, integrate and solve that for time, it gives me an unreasonably short answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2
    What does the differential equation look like if the surface temperature were constant, rather than the surface heat flux?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted