Transients in 1st order RL DC circuits

• Engineering
  • Thread starter influx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits Dc
In summary, the solution states that after the switch is opened, the initial current through the inductor is 20 A. This is because before the switch was opened, the current flowed exclusively through the inductor, and at t=0, the inductor is still at 20A. The voltage across the inductor is zero, meaning no current flows through any resistor. After the switch is opened, the current through the inductor decays starting with 20A because the current cannot change instantaneously. Therefore, the current will travel through the wire with no resistance, and there will be no current in any resistor. The current of the inductor is given by I inductor = Vinductor/Rinductor, and since the
influx
physicbzb.png

The solution states that after the switch is opened the initial current through the inductor is 20 A (in the pink box). I don't understand why its 20A. Surely the current has split at circuit junctions meaning the current arriving at the inductor is less than 20A?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Before the switch was opened, you had a 20A source feeding through a combination of resistors - but with a path through an inductor. Over time, the inductor will, in theory, offer no resistance, so the full current will pass through that inductor.
At the moment the switch is opened, the inductor will start to lose current, but that takes time. So at t=0, the inductor is still at 20A.

.Scott said:
Before the switch was opened, you had a 20A source feeding through a combination of resistors - but with a path through an inductor. Over time, the inductor will, in theory, offer no resistance, so the full current will pass through that inductor.
At the moment the switch is opened, the inductor will start to lose current, but that takes time. So at t=0, the inductor is still at 20A.

So you are saying that before the switch was opened, the current did not split at junctions and instead traveled straight to the inductor?

Thanks

rude man said:
No. Before the switch is opened, the voltage across the inductor is zero, meaning no current thru any resistor. So the current flows exclusively thru the inductor.After the switch is opened, the current through the inductor cannot change instantaneously so it decays starting with 20A.

I see. One question (perhaps an obvious question), why does the voltage across the inductor equalling zero mean no current through any resistor?

Thanks

influx said:
So you are saying that before the switch was opened, the current did not split at junctions and instead traveled straight to the inductor?

Thanks

Yes, because the inductor voltage before the switch is opened is zero, so no current flows thru any of the resistors.

influx said:
I see. One question (perhaps an obvious question), why does the voltage across the inductor equalling zero mean no current through any resistor?

Thanks
Because I = V/R and V = 0.

The inductor eventually becomes a short circuit.

rude man said:

untitlepe.png

In the above circuit, would all the current travel through the wire (labelled with a red arrow) since it offers no resistance (theoretically)?

Thanks

influx said:
untitlepe.png

In the above circuit, would all the current travel through the wire (labelled with a red arrow) since it offers no resistance (theoretically)?

Thanks

Yes.

Again, what's the voltage across the current source?
So, can there be any current in any resistor?

rude man said:

The current of the inductor is given by I inductor = Vinductor/Rinductor, so surely if the voltage across the inductor is 0, then the current through the inductor is also 0 (rather than the current in the resistors)? I am not questioning your answer, just trying to understand.

Thanks

influx said:
The current of the inductor is given by I inductor = Vinductor/Rinductor, so surely if the voltage across the inductor is 0, then the current through the inductor is also 0 (rather than the current in the resistors)? I am not questioning your answer, just trying to understand.

Thanks

Well, what about a plain old wire? It has zero volts across it by definition, but can't it carry a whopping amount of current?

If the current thru an inductor is not changing it looks exactly like a wire since V = L di/dt. Whereas for a rsistor, V = R i so that even if the current isn't changing (di/dt = 0) there must be a voltage across it. Voltage and current track each other in time perfectly in a pure resistor.

1. What are transients in 1st order RL DC circuits?

Transients in 1st order RL DC circuits refer to the temporary changes in current and voltage that occur when a DC power source is first switched on or off in a circuit with a resistor and inductor. These changes are due to the inductor's inherent property of opposing changes in current, creating a temporary surge or dip in the current flow.

2. How do transients affect the circuit's behavior?

Transients can cause a delay in the circuit's response time or a temporary increase in current flow, which can potentially damage components or disrupt the circuit's normal function. However, once the circuit reaches a steady state, the transients will dissipate and the circuit will operate as expected.

3. How can transients be calculated in 1st order RL DC circuits?

The transient response in 1st order RL DC circuits can be calculated using the time constant (τ) of the circuit, which is equal to the inductance (L) divided by the resistance (R). The transient current can be calculated using the equation I(t) = I0 * (1 - e^(-t/τ)), where t is time and I0 is the initial current in the circuit.

4. How can transients be minimized in a circuit?

Transients can be minimized by using components with lower inductance values, reducing the circuit's overall resistance, or by adding a diode in parallel with the inductor to allow for the dissipation of the transient current. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize transients.

5. Are transients only present in 1st order RL DC circuits?

No, transients can occur in any circuit with inductors, regardless of its order. However, 1st order RL DC circuits are the simplest type of circuit where transients can be observed and analyzed.