Solve RL Circuit Problem: Homework Statement & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a closed switch and a constant current source, and how it behaves when the switch is opened at t=0. The solution involves finding the initial current through the inductor and using current division to find the current through the 12 Ohm resistor. The final answer is 5e^(-2t) A.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

The attachment shows the circuit in question. Pardon the crude drawing. The top circuit is the circuit drawn in the text. The middle circuit is how the circuit is supposed to behave for t < 0 (switched closed). The bottom circuit is how the circuit is supposed to behave for t > 0 (switch open). The current source in the top circuit is constant.The switch is closed for a very long time and then at t = 0 it opens.
Derive an expression for i(t) for t > 0.

Homework Equations

V=iR
τ=L/R
i(t)=i(0)e^-(t/τ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the top circuit:
I handled the case for t<0 to find the Initial current through the inductor (is the initial current in the equation the initial current through the inductor or is it the current flowing through the resistor?) by closing the switch for a longtime and then did a source transformation transforming the current source with a resistor in parallel to a voltage source with a resistor in series.
vsc=(15A)(24Ω)=360VNow I'm at the middle circuit:
I understand that direct current shorts an inductor.
This in turn shorts out the 5ohm resistor ( Why? I know that current takes the path of least resistance but...)

So I can combine the 12Ω and 8Ω resistor and add it to the 24Ω resistor.
Req=(12||8)+24=36.5Ω

Therefore Ieq=360/36.5=9.86A

Then I used current division across the 12Ω and 8Ω resistors in parallel.
Iο=((8)/(12+8))(9.86A)=3.94A

After finding the initial current I open the switch and thus arrive at the bottom circuit:
From here I find RL and then find τ which should be my final answer.

The answer is 5e^(-2t) A. Could someone please help? Thank you.

Attachments

• ECE207-problem-1-HW2.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is with how you're drawing the middle circuit.

The 5 Ohm resistor is still there. The thing is, there's no voltage difference across it, because the end of the other two resistors are both connected to ground (so the voltage on the left is 0 and the voltage on the right is 0). So you can conclude that no current passes through the 5 Ohm resistor. So now, you know you only have to find the current through the 12 Ohm resistor to find the current through the inductor (which is short circuited since the switch has been closed for a long time).

I found it easier to leave the current source in and use current division twice, but to each his own.

Likes Duderonimous and Greg Bernhardt
Thank you axmls.

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). It is a type of series circuit where the components are connected in a loop.

2. What is the purpose of solving an RL circuit problem?

The purpose of solving an RL circuit problem is to determine the current and voltage in the circuit at any given time. This can help in understanding the behavior of the circuit and its components.

3. What are the equations used to solve an RL circuit problem?

The main equations used to solve an RL circuit problem are Ohm's law (V = IR), the equation for inductive reactance (XL = 2πfL), and Kirchhoff's voltage law (ΣV = 0).

4. How do you approach solving an RL circuit problem?

To solve an RL circuit problem, you first need to draw the circuit and label all the components. Then, you can use the equations mentioned above to find the current and voltage at different points in the circuit. It is important to follow a systematic approach and use proper units for accurate results.

5. Are there any special techniques or tips for solving RL circuit problems?

One helpful technique for solving RL circuit problems is to use phasor diagrams, which represent the current and voltage as vectors. This can simplify the calculations and provide a visual representation of the circuit's behavior. It is also important to check your solution by verifying that Kirchhoff's laws are satisfied.