Transimission Of EM waves in conductors at an angle of incidence

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

We know that in electrodynamic when an incident Electromagnetic wave strikes a charged barrier it can either be reflected or transmits. And both of the incident, reflected and transmitted waves are in the same plane called plane of incidence.
Now, i met a problem in which they state that the light is "polarized" perpendicular to the plane of incidence. I am trying to understand how it is not in the same plane as others but i can't. Am i wrong or something else.
Please tell if you know more about it.

Answers and Replies

clem
Science Advisor
We know that the E field of light has a component parallel to the plane of incidence and a component perpendicular to the plane of incidence.
For some reason, you had only read about the parallel polarization.

We know that the E field of light has a component parallel to the plane of incidence and a component perpendicular to the plane of incidence.
For some reason, you had only read about the parallel polarization.
Thank you! Actually, i read a book and i found out about those polarized wave. In this case, it is the magnetic field component which is parallel to the plane of incidence. This will have an impact on the boundary conditions equations and hence the relationship between "incident, reflected and transmitted amplitudes/intensities"

clem
Science Advisor
The usual definition of polarization direction is that of the E vector,
so if B is parallel to the plane of incidence, most books would call it perpendicular polarization.
The relationships between "incident, reflected and transmitted amplitudes/intensities" are well know and are called the "Fresnel relations". They are given in most EM books and
are different for the two polarization directions.

Yeah thanks for your help!