Transistor amplification related doubts

In summary: The input signal is the thing that modulates or changes in order to be amplified.In summary, the basis of amplification is a small change in base current leading to a large change in collector current. This small change is caused by the input signal, not the biasing. The biasing remains constant throughout the amplification process and sets the DC operating point for optimal amplification. The input signal is what is modulated or changed in order to be amplified.
shawrix
I understand the basic concept. A small change in the base current will lead to large change in the collector current and will lead to amplification.

But the question is, the small change in base current is brought by input signal or the biasing? Also the coupling capacitors allow only the ac signal to be amplified, so what's the use of dc biasing? It will be wasted.

Also what's the effect of ac changing its polarity on the transistor?

Some doubts...But i will love to have them cleared. Thank you :]

Edit: Small not large change in base current.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
shawrix said:
I understand the basic concept. A small change in the base current will lead to large change in the collector current and will lead to amplification.

But the question is, the large change in base current is brought by input signal or the biasing?
I don't understand this. What large change in the base current?
Also the coupling capacitors allow only the ac signal to be amplified, so what's the use of dc biasing? It will be wasted.
[/QUOTE[

You would get an ac signal without DC component after the coupling capacitor if there was no bias network. The input of an emitter follower needs to be about half the supply voltage with no input signal, the input of a common emitter amplifier, often needs to be set so that the output will be at half the supply voltage with no input signal. It certainly will need to be positive.
The biasing does this.

Also what's the effect of ac changing its polarity on the transistor?

You mean the input signal? The bias network takes care of that. An amplifier will work with voltages that are between the supply voltages, so negative voltages shouldn't occur if you have a single supply and the negative side of the supply is at 0 volts.

Likes 1 person
I don't understand this. What large change in the base current?

Sorry, I meant a small change in base current leading to a large change in collector current is the basis of amplification. This small change is the change in input signal right? The biasing is not changed throughout the amplification process?

For example, in a speaker while adjusting its volume do we change the input signal or the biasing? Quite confusing :S

Last edited:
None of this is constant for all applications, but generally the bias sets the DC operating point such that the small signal is being amplified by the transistors at an optimum point in their characteristics. The gain is generally changed by a resistor divider or resistor ratios somewhere in the amplifier. Generally the bias remains constant.

1. What is a transistor and how does it work?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of semiconductor material, each with a different level of conductivity. By applying a small current to the first two layers, the third layer can be controlled to amplify the current passing through the transistor.

2. How does transistor amplification work?

Transistor amplification works by using a small input current to control a larger output current. When a small current is applied to the base of the transistor, it controls the flow of a larger current from the collector to the emitter. This allows for precise control and amplification of electronic signals.

3. What are the different types of transistor amplifiers?

There are three main types of transistor amplifiers: common emitter, common base, and common collector. In a common emitter amplifier, the input signal is applied to the base and the output is taken from the collector. In a common base amplifier, the input signal is applied to the emitter and the output is taken from the collector. In a common collector amplifier, the input signal is applied to the base and the output is taken from the emitter.

4. What is the difference between voltage and current amplification?

Voltage amplification refers to the increase in voltage of a signal, while current amplification refers to the increase in current. Transistor amplifiers can provide both voltage and current amplification, depending on the configuration and design of the circuit.

5. How do I choose the right transistor for my amplification needs?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a transistor for amplification, including the required voltage and current levels, the frequency of the input signal, and the desired gain. It is important to consult datasheets and consult with experts to select the appropriate transistor for your specific application.