1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor in cutoff mode

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi! I learned how to work with transistors a long time ago. However, it is good to fortify youre knowledge. I was checking a circuit board for issues and found a npn bjt, wich Colector-emitter resistance while in cutoff mode, is arround 1k ohms. So my knowledge of bjt's says me that that is a pretty low resistance for a transistor in cutoff mode (it should be almost infinite). I mean, that thing is damaged for sure, right?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2
    Probably... depends on how you "measured" it.

Most accurate of course is out-of-circuit with a transistor tester.
    Out-of-circuit again, a few ohmmeter tests will usually spot a bad one. First, check that the junctions are actually diodes, that Collector-Emitter are not shorted, check Base-Emitter when forward biased then short Collector to Base and the indicated resistance should drop slightly.

In-circuit is tough because you have to account for EVERY component that the transistor is connected to, and if the circuit is powered-up you also have to take in to account any signal present and even if there is a parasitic oscillation throwing the measurements off.

Have fun!

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Thank you :-)

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you determine the collector-emitter resistance? Include details such as powered-on or not, instrumentation, schematic, etc.

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Thank you everyone for the replies, but the situation is already under control :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted