1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transitioning military-Degree questions

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    Hey all, I am in need of some guidance regarding an engineering degree. I'm currently a Navy Nuke and am set to leave the service in around 2 years. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend a brick and mortar school for the foreseeable future but I'd like to start working towards an engineering degree before I get out. I planned on taking the basic courses online with the understanding that the more technical classes would have to be taken later in person. I'm not finding too many options besides an engineering technology degree that I can take online. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed or recommended schools? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Best wishes.

My EAOS was '75. Has the USN tightened up its promises of equivalency? You should have the equivalencies now by my subjective estimation. Newport News NNS used to consider C.2340 qualification equivalent to a postgraduate engineering degree, at that time based on six months classroom and their OJT beyond nuke school and qualifications.

Now it just says, "The STE program is best described by comparing it to a graduate level degree coupled with a management position in a large industrial complex." (http://www.navsea.navy.mil/shipyards/norfolk/nnsy/NuclearTED.aspx)

Get as many certifications of equivalency from the USN as you can. For us, it was pretty much a bait-and-switch joke.

I retired in 1995 as a Shift Test Engineer (title)/engineering technician (GS-12 position) (Manual for Control of Testing and Plant Conditions NS 0989-028-5000). As we unsuccessfully battled for professional status, Rickover called us his "evil necessities."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook