Translation operator on a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a translation operator in the presence and absence of a magnetic field, specifically in relation to a particle on a sphere. The translation operator is defined as \hat{T}(a) = e^{-ia\hat{p}} in position-space and \hat{p} = -i\nabla. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the covariant derivative instead of the translation operator, and the difference between the translation operator on a flat surface and a sphere. It is noted that on a sphere, the translation operator is the same as that for a flat surface tangential to the point being rotated. The conversation also mentions using a covariant version of angular momentum operators to handle the particle on a sphere
kashokjayaram
I'm considering a system where an electron is subjected to magnetic field which is produced by dirac monopole. Here I'm interested in looking for a translation operator. Now how can I get a translation operator in presence of field and in absence of field.?? I need both the operators. Can anybody help me..? Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
The translation operator is

[tex]\hat{T}(a) = e^{-ia\hat{p}}[/tex]

In position-space this is

[tex]\hat{p} = -i\nabla[/tex]

Are you thinking about using the covariant derivative instead?

[tex]\nabla \to \nabla - ieA[/tex]

is this applicable to sphere also..?? Why both are same...? Since this operator is used for translation in plane, how come it is same in sphere?

You haven't said anything about a particle on a sphere. Is your particle subject to a constraint r2=const.? Or equivalently, are you using spherical coordinates with r being a constant?

Then the flat-space translation operator is no longer valid. On the sphere only operators respecting the symmetry of the sphere (and the constraint) are allowed. A simple approach is to use spherical coordinates, to fix r=const. and to drop all ∂r terms. I am not absolutely sure whether this approach is valid for all operators. Perhaps an approach like constraint quantization is required.

But in principle it's obvious that instead of momentum p as a generator of translation you have to consider angular momentum L as a generator of rotation.

tom.stoer said:
You haven't said anything about a particle on a sphere.
Have a look at the title.

The problem is that with a constant field, the hamiltonian is not directly translation invariant. But the translated hamiltonian can be brought back to its original form applying an additional gauge transformation. Effectively, the translation operator becomes the covariant derivative. Physically, this leads to the appearance of Landau levels.
On a sphere, the translation operators are the same as that for a flat surface tangential to the point you want to rotate. So it should be possible to use a covariant version of the angular momentum operators.

Ah, I see, it's in the title of the thread ;-)

What you have to do is to use

[tex]\hat{D}(n,\phi) = e^{-i\,n^a\,\hat{L}^a\,\phi}[/tex]

which generates rotations with angle phi and axis n; n is the unit vector in direction n.

Note that formally L is an angular momentum operator, but not necessarily an orbital angular momentum operator. That means it satisfies the algebra

[tex][\hat{L}^a,\hat{L}^b] = i\epsilon^{abc}\,\hat{L}^c[/tex]

but it need not be represented using r, theta and phi. Of course it has the usual eigenstates ##|lm\rangle##.

This allows you treat the particle on a sphere as a rigid rotor.

But I am not sure whether this helps for your problem with a external field.

1. What is the translation operator on a sphere?

The translation operator on a sphere is a mathematical tool used to shift or move points on a sphere by a certain distance and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement of particles or objects on a spherical surface.

2. How does the translation operator work on a sphere?

The translation operator on a sphere works by rotating the original point around the center of the sphere by a specific angle and direction. This movement is equivalent to shifting the point along the surface of the sphere without changing its distance from the center.

3. What are the applications of the translation operator on a sphere?

The translation operator on a sphere has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and geophysics. It is used to describe the motion of robots in spherical environments, create 3D animations, and study the movement of particles on the Earth's surface.

4. How is the translation operator on a sphere different from the translation operator on a flat surface?

The translation operator on a sphere is different from the translation operator on a flat surface because the sphere has a curved geometry, while the flat surface has a linear geometry. This means that the translation on a sphere involves rotation and angular displacement, while translation on a flat surface involves linear displacement.

5. Can the translation operator on a sphere be used in other dimensions?

Yes, the translation operator can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 3D or even n-dimensional spaces. However, the concept and properties of the operator may differ in higher dimensions compared to its application on a sphere.