Translational approach to precession

In summary, the conversation discusses a translational approach to precession using a gyroscope with four point masses. By assuming a virtual translation of the center of mass caused by gravity and using energy conservation, the forces acting on the four masses are calculated. It is shown that the forces on the upper and lower mass points cause precession, but it is questioned how the forces on the remaining two mass points are compensated. It is explained that the support at the left compensates for the weight of all the masses and the frame transmits any necessary forces to satisfy this constraint.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I'm trying to take a purely translational approach to precession (i.e. not using angular momentum and torque). I'm looking at a gyroscope that consists of four point masses on a cross and at a moment in time when one mass is at the topmost point (see sketch). I'm assuming a virtual translation of the center of mass caused by gravity (red arrow) and use energy conservation to compute the forces acting on the four masses (using basically the law of the lever). After some rather ugly calculations using lots of small-angle approximations I somehow managed to show that the forces on the upper and lower mass points (blue) cause precession and I found the correct value for its angular velocity.

However, there are still the forces acting on the two remaining mass points (green). How are they compensated?
Gyro.png

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
However, there are still the forces acting on the two remaining mass points (green). How are they compensated?
The weight of all those masses is compensated by the support at the left. Since the masses are rigidly connected, the frame will transmit any forces necessary to satisfy this constraint.

This might be helpful:

1. What is a translational approach to precession?

A translational approach to precession is a method used in science to study the movement of objects in space. It involves analyzing the changes in the orientation of an object's axis of rotation over time.

2. How is this approach different from other methods of studying precession?

Unlike other methods, a translational approach to precession focuses on the movement of an object's axis of rotation, rather than the object itself. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the forces and factors affecting the object's movement.

3. What are the applications of a translational approach to precession?

This approach has a wide range of applications in various fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study the behavior of planets and other celestial bodies, as well as the movement of gyroscopes and other rotating objects.

4. What are the benefits of using a translational approach to precession?

One of the main benefits is its ability to provide more accurate and precise measurements of an object's movement. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying forces and factors that contribute to precession and can aid in the development of more efficient and effective technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to this approach?

Like any scientific method, a translational approach to precession has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of objects and movements, and it requires advanced mathematical and analytical skills to interpret the data accurately. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance may affect the results.