Gyroscopic precession force diagram

In summary: The normal force from the pivot, together with gravity, provides a force equilibrium that keeps the flywheel in the air. Additionally, the small horizontal centripetal force from the pivot keeps the flywheel moving in a circle. In summary, gyroscopic precession is a phenomenon where the torque from gravity causes a spinning flywheel to precess instead of falling over. The normal force from the pivot and gravity provide a force equilibrium, while the pivot also provides a small horizontal centripetal force to keep the flywheel moving in a circle. This can be understood in terms of linear forces and accelerations, with the normal force balancing out gravity. The formula dθ = dL / L can also be understood using trigonometry, with the
Elias Waranoi
Hi, I've been learning about gyroscopic precession recently and I feel like I get it. I understand that when the flywheel of a gyroscope is spinning its angular moment plus the angular moment created by the torque from the force of gravity makes it turn. But I were thinking about the forces in a gyroscope and couldn't figure out what force is keeping the flywheel up. I know of the force of gravity and the normal force on the pivot connected to the rod connecting to the flywheel but to me that doesn't seem to be enough to keep the flywheel in the air. What's the other forces?

And bonus question, my physics book showed me that dθ = dL / L. I can understand this in a trigonometric way with tanθ = opposite / adjacent = dL / L. I can't make the connection between my knowledge in trigonometry and dθ = dL / L. The tanθ != dθ is what's bothering me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elias Waranoi said:
Hi, I've been learning about gyroscopic precession recently and I feel like I get it. I understand that when the flywheel of a gyroscope is spinning its angular moment plus the angular moment created by the torque from the force of gravity makes it turn. But I were thinking about the forces in a gyroscope and couldn't figure out what force is keeping the flywheel up. I know of the force of gravity and the normal force on the pivot connected to the rod connecting to the flywheel but to me that doesn't seem to be enough to keep the flywheel in the air. What's the other forces?

And bonus question, my physics book showed me that dθ = dL / L. I can understand this in a trigonometric way with tanθ = opposite / adjacent = dL / L. I can't make the connection between my knowledge in trigonometry and dθ = dL / L. The tanθ != dθ is what's bothering me.
It's not that there is a force keeping it up; it's that the torque from gravity, which is what you'd expect to make it fall over, has the paradoxical effect of making it precess instead.

By the way, you wrote of the gyroscope's angular moment (which is mormally termed angular momentum) and the angular moment (which should be just "moment") of gravity. I.e. you made them sound like they are dimensionally the same, but they are different. Angular momentum is ML2T-1, whereas torque is ML2T-2.

Elias Waranoi said:
I know of the force of gravity and the normal force on the pivot connected to the rod connecting to the flywheel but to me that doesn't seem to be enough to keep the flywheel in the air.
Normal force cancels gravity, so there is a force equilibrium. No other forces are needed. The video below might help you.

A.T. said:
Normal force cancels gravity, so there is a force equilibrium. No other forces are needed.
So if there is force equilibrium does that mean that the normal force from the pivot is the same size as the force from gravity?

Elias Waranoi said:
So if there is force equilibrium does that mean that the normal force from the pivot is the same size as the force from gravity?
The vertical forces must be equal but opposite if there is no vertical acceleration of the center of mass. Since the center of mass moves slowly in circles, the pivot must also provide a small horizontal centripetal force.

A.T. said:
Normal force cancels gravity, so there is a force equilibrium. No other forces are needed
True, but I interpreted the question as asking what counters the torque, which would make a pencil, e.g., fall over.
@Elias Waranoi , which were you asking? Maybe it was both.

I was asking about force equilibrium. But I appreciate all the responses I get!

Elias Waranoi said:
I was asking about force equilibrium. But I appreciate all the responses I get!
The video I posted explains the issue in terms of linear forces and accelerations, which are more intuitive to most people, than torque and angular momentum.

Related to Gyroscopic precession force diagram

1. What is a gyroscopic precession force diagram?

A gyroscopic precession force diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a rotating object, such as a gyroscope. It shows the direction and magnitude of the gyroscopic precession force, which is the force that causes a rotating object to resist changes in its orientation.

2. How does a gyroscopic precession force diagram work?

A gyroscopic precession force diagram works by showing the relationship between the angular velocity of a rotating object and the direction of the gyroscopic precession force. This force is perpendicular to both the angular velocity and the direction of the applied force, causing the object to rotate in a direction perpendicular to the applied force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the gyroscopic precession force?

The magnitude of the gyroscopic precession force is affected by the angular velocity of the rotating object, the direction and magnitude of the applied force, and the mass and shape of the object. Additionally, the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation also plays a role in determining the magnitude of the force.

4. How is a gyroscopic precession force diagram used in real-life applications?

Gyroscopic precession force diagrams have many practical uses, including in navigation systems, aircraft control systems, and mechanical stability devices. They are also used in various engineering and physics experiments to study the effects of rotation and the behavior of rotating objects.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with gyroscopic precession force diagrams?

Like any scientific model, gyroscopic precession force diagrams have limitations and assumptions. They assume that the rotating object is rigid and that there is no external torque acting on the system. Additionally, they do not take into account other forces that may be present, such as friction, which can affect the behavior of a rotating object.