Transmission line characteristics

In summary, the problem involves calculating the primary coefficients (R, L, C, and G) of a transmission line operating at 250 MHz with a characteristic impedance of 50 Ohm and a propagation coefficient of 0.4 + j7.5 per meter. The formula for solving this problem can be found in the Wikipedia article on transmission lines.
fran1942

Homework Statement

If a transmission line operating at 250 MHz has a characteristic impedance Z0 of
50 Ohm and propagation coefficient γ = 0.4 + j7.5 per meter, calculate its primary
coefficients R, L, C and G.

Hello, I do not know what formula I can use to solve this problem.
If anyone can give me some help it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:

Homework Statement

If a transmission line operating at 250 MHz has a characteristic impedance Z0 of
50 Ohm and propagation coefficient γ = 0.4 + j7.5 per meter, calculate its primary
coefficients R, L, C and G.

Hello, I do not know what formula I can use to solve this problem.
If anyone can give me some help it would be much appreciated.

What learning resources are you provided for this course? It seems strange that they would assign you this question, without having first presented the material to you...

In any case, the Wikipedia article on transmission lines is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line

1. What are the different types of transmission lines?

There are several types of transmission lines, including parallel-wire, coaxial, microstrip, and waveguide. Each type has different characteristics and is used for different applications.

2. What is characteristic impedance?

Characteristic impedance is the ratio of voltage to current in a transmission line, and is a measure of the line's ability to transfer energy. It is a constant value for a given line and does not depend on the length of the line.

3. How do transmission line characteristics affect signal integrity?

The characteristics of a transmission line, such as impedance, propagation delay, and attenuation, can affect the quality and integrity of a signal being transmitted. In order to maintain signal integrity, these characteristics must be carefully considered and managed.

4. What is the "skin effect" in transmission lines?

The skin effect is a phenomenon in which high frequency signals tend to travel on the surface of a conductor rather than through its entire cross-section. This can cause increased resistance and attenuation in transmission lines at higher frequencies.

5. How are reflections minimized in transmission lines?

Reflections in transmission lines can be minimized by using matching techniques, such as terminating the line with its characteristic impedance, or by using impedance matching components, such as transformers or baluns. Proper design and termination of the line can also help minimize reflections.