Transmission Spectrum- Absolute units?

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating transmission spectrum data from GaAs and InP. The task is to correct the data for reflective losses and plot the corrected transmission in absolute units between lambda = 0.8 and lambda = 1.0 micron, as well as converting it to dB units. The person is unsure about the specific instructions regarding absolute units and using Igor Pro for the conversion.
Jimbone

Homework Statement

In manipulating transmission spectrum data from GaAs and InP I'm told to "Look up the refractive indices of GaAs and InP in the region of  = 1.0 micron, and use these to
correct your experimental data for reflective losses and plot the corrected transmission T’ in
absolute units between lambda = 0.8 and lambda = 1.0 micron." Also Put T' in db units.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to correct for reflection I'm just not sure what he means by absolute units. The transmission is given in percentage and within the range we're working in the percentage is within 0-57%, does he mean to expand this so it goes from 0-100%? Also I'm using Igor pro, will it put T' in decibels for me?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
should say
"in the region of lambda = 1.0 microns"

1. What is the transmission spectrum in absolute units?

The transmission spectrum in absolute units is a measurement of the amount of light that passes through a sample at different wavelengths. It is typically represented as a graph, with the transmission percentage plotted against the wavelength.

2. How is the transmission spectrum in absolute units measured?

The transmission spectrum in absolute units is measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths. The sample is placed in the path of the light and the amount of light that passes through is measured, allowing for the calculation of the transmission percentage.

3. What is the importance of measuring the transmission spectrum in absolute units?

Measuring the transmission spectrum in absolute units allows for accurate and reliable comparisons between samples. It also provides information about the optical properties of the sample, which can be useful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

4. How are the absolute units determined in a transmission spectrum?

The absolute units in a transmission spectrum are determined by using a reference sample with known transmission properties. The transmission of the reference sample is measured, and this value is used as a baseline to calculate the absolute transmission of the sample being tested.

5. What factors can affect the transmission spectrum in absolute units?

Several factors can affect the transmission spectrum in absolute units, including the composition and thickness of the sample, the type and intensity of the light source, and any impurities or defects in the sample. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.