Travel time for apollo to the moon with Kepler's thirs law

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the travel time to the moon using Kepler's third law and the values for P, a, G, and M. The estimated travel time is 4 days and 18 hours, but the Apollo program took only 3 days. Possible reasons for this difference include neglecting the effects of Earth's rotation, initial positions of the spacecraft and moon, and the Moon's gravity. The spacecraft's trajectory may also involve a combination of Kepler orbits.
alex123go
Hi everyone,

For one of my project in school, i need to calculate the travel time to the moon. To do that, I thought to use Kepler's third law which is :
(2(pi) / P )2 * a3 = GM

where :

P : period of travel
a : major semiaxes (not sure in english, but it is the half the longest radius of the ellipse) : in this case half of the earth-moon distance : 380 400km/2= 190 200km
G : gravitational constant : 6.67E-11

M : Earth's mass : 5,972E24 kg

Whit these values, my period is equal to 9 days and 13 hours, so the travel time to the moon is the half of that and is 4 days and 18 hours.

But in the apollo program, it takes about 3 days to go to the moon. Can someone help me to figure out why does I have almost 2 days of difference.

Is it because I didn't took notice of the moon gravity, because the spacecraft wasn't doing an ellipse like this or for another reason?

Thank you for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
a : major semiaxes (not sure in english, but it is the half the longest radius of the ellipse)
In English: "semi major axis" ... the longest axis is the "major axis", and "semi-" means "half of" ... but "major semi-axis" also works.

There are infinite possible ellipses that would take a spacecraft from the Earth to the Moon - do they all have the same travel time?
You neglected the effect the rotation of the Earth would have and the relative initial positions of the craft and the moon ... as well as the Moon's gravity. What happens when the Moon's gravity is stronger than the Earth's? Does the scenario fit the requirements for Kepler's 3rd Law? You can find descriptions of the Apollo mission online to see how they did it.

Thank you for ou help. And I will look for the description on internet.

Consider that the spacecraft starts out in orbit about the Earth, and ends up in orbit about the Moon - traveling via the crossover point where Earth and Moon gravity cancel. Thus the trajectory is not going to be just one Kepler orbit - but a combination of them. They could get to the crossover point as quickly as they liked, and then burn fuel to sow down so the Moon can capture them.

1. How long did it take for Apollo to travel to the moon using Kepler's Third Law?

The total travel time for Apollo to reach the moon using Kepler's Third Law was approximately 3 days. This includes the time it took for the spacecraft to launch from Earth, orbit around the Earth, and then travel to the moon.

2. What is Kepler's Third Law and how does it relate to Apollo's journey to the moon?

Kepler's Third Law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In simpler terms, this means that the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer it takes to complete one orbit. In the case of Apollo's journey to the moon, the spacecraft was able to use this law to determine the necessary speed and trajectory for reaching its destination.

3. Did Apollo's travel time to the moon vary depending on the launch date?

Yes, the travel time for Apollo to reach the moon did vary depending on the launch date. This is because the position of the moon and its orbit around the Earth changed over time, which affected the distance and speed needed for the spacecraft to reach its destination.

4. How does Kepler's Third Law help us understand the motion of objects in space?

Kepler's Third Law is a fundamental principle in understanding the motion of objects in space. It helps us calculate the speed, distance, and time needed for an object to orbit around another object, such as a planet around the sun or a spacecraft around a moon. It also helps us predict the position of these objects in the future.

5. Was Kepler's Third Law the only factor in determining Apollo's travel time to the moon?

No, Kepler's Third Law was not the only factor in determining Apollo's travel time to the moon. Other factors such as the gravitational pull of the moon and Earth, the trajectory of the spacecraft, and the use of rocket engines also played a role in the overall travel time. Additionally, human factors such as navigation and decision-making also played a crucial role in successfully reaching the moon.