Triangle inequality in b-metric spaces

In summary: Note that $p<1$ and $1/p>1$ so $2^p<2$ and $2^{1/p}<2.$Dear professor,Thank you for your attention...Now I understand...Thank you for your explanation...Best wishes :)In summary, a b-metric is a function that satisfies certain properties on a non-empty set X and a given real number s. If X and d satisfy these properties, they are called a b-metric space. The definition of a b-metric space is an extension of a usual metric space. To prove the triangle inequality for b-metric spaces, we can use the fact that if $0<p<1$ then $(a+b)^p\le a^p
ozkan12
Let $X$ be a non-empty set and let $s\ge1$ be a given real number. A function $d:$ X $\times$ X$\to$ ${R}^{+}$ , is called a b-metric provided that, for all x,y,z $\in$ X,

1) d(x,y)=0 iff x=y,
2)d(x,y)=d(y,x),
3)d(x,z)$\le$s[d(x,y)+d(y,z)].

A pair (X,d) is called b-metric space. İt is clear that definition of b-metric space is a extension of usual metric space.

İn attachment, I didnt prove triangle inequality, please help me...thank you for your attention :)

View attachment 4626

Attachments

• 20150810_160041.jpg
    20150810_160041.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: prove that for all \(\displaystyle x,y,z\in l_p\) with \(\displaystyle (0<p<1),\) we have \(\displaystyle d(x,z)\le 2^{1/p}\left[d(x,y)+d(y,z)\right].\)

Last edited:
yes we get this...But I didnt prove...Please can you write this and send me ? thank you for your attention :)

ozkan12 said:
yes we get this...But I didnt prove...Please can you write this and send me ? thank you for your attention :)

Using the following results you'll easily prove it.

1. If $0<p<1$ then $(a+b)^p\le a^p+b^p$ for all $a,b\ge 0.$

2. If $0<p<1$ then $f(t)=t^{1/p}$ is a convex funtion on $(0.+\infty)$ so $$\left(\frac{1}{2}a+\frac{1}{2}b\right)^{1/p}\le \frac{1}{2}a^{1/p}+\frac{1}{2}b^{1/p}$$ As a consequence $$(a+b)^{1/p}\le 2^{1/p}(a^{1/p}+b^{1/p})\quad \forall a,b \ge 0.$$

Thank you so much, But I didnt understand this...

ozkan12 said:
Thank you so much, But I didnt understand this...

Let us see, 15:11 - 14:54 are equivalent to 17 minutes. You can't say that you don't understand, you need some more effort. Show some work and I'll help you.

Dear professor,

I worked on this topic...But I didn't come to consequence...:)

ozkan12 said:
Dear professor,

I worked on this topic...But I didn't come to consequence...:)
I am going to solve your question (only for this time) but you should understand that this is not the best way for learning.

Suppose $x=(x_n),$ $y=(y_n),$ $z=(z_n)$ are elements of $l_p$ with $0<p<1.$ Then, using $$\left|x_n-z_n\right|=\left|(x_n-y_n)+(y_n-z_n)\right| \le \left|x_n-y_n\right|+\left|y_n-z_n\right|,$$
$$d(x,z)=\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|x_n-z_n\right|^p\right)^{1/p}\le \left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\left|x_n-y_n\right|+\left|y_n-z_n\right|\right)^p\right)^{1/p}.$$ Using $(a+b)^p\le a^p+b^p$ for every $a,b\ge 0,$
$$d(x,z)\le \left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\left|x_n-y_n\right|^p+\left|y_n-z_n\right|^p\right)\right)^{1/p}$$ $$=\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|x_n-y_n\right|^p+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|y_n-z_n\right|^p\right)^{1/p}.$$
Using $(a+b)^{1/p}\le 2^{1/p}(a^{1/p}+b^{1/p})\quad \forall a,b \ge 0,$ $$d(x,z)\le 2^{1/p}\left(\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|x_n-y_n\right|^p\right)^{1/p}+\left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|y_n-z_n\right|^p\right)^{1/p}\right)$$
$$=d(x,y)+d(y,z).$$ That is, $d$ is an $s=2^{1/p}-$ metric.

Dear professor

I carried out this process...But I think this is false :) İndeed, this true :) Thank you so much...But in first post

How we get as a consequence

(a+b)^1/p ≤ 2^1/p (a^1/p+b^1/p )∀a,b≥0.

Thank you for your help dear professor, best wishes :)

ozkan12 said:
How we get as a consequence (a+b)^1/p ≤ 2^1/p (a^1/p+b^1/p )∀a,b≥0.
$$\left(\frac{1}{2}a+\frac{1}{2}b\right)^{1/p}\le \frac{1}{2}a^{1/p}+\frac{1}{2}b^{1/p}$$ $$\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2^{1/p}}(a+b)^{1/p}\le \frac{1}{2}\left(a^{1/p}+b^{1/p}\right)\le a^{1/p}+b^{1/p}$$ $$\Rightarrow (a+b)^{1/p}\le 2^{1/p}(a^{1/p}+b^{1/p}).$$

Dear professor,

Thank you for your attention and your help...But in

⇒1/2^1/p(a+b)^1/p≤1^2(a^1/p+b^1/p)≤a^1/p+b^1/p in second part I think 1/2 must be 1/2^1/p... İs it true ?

ozkan12 said:
İs it true ?
No, it isn't.

1. What is the Triangle Inequality in b-metric spaces?

The Triangle Inequality in b-metric spaces is a mathematical concept that states that the sum of two sides of a triangle must always be greater than or equal to the length of the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and the shortest path between two points is always a straight line.

2. How is the Triangle Inequality different in b-metric spaces compared to traditional metric spaces?

In traditional metric spaces, the Triangle Inequality states that the sum of two sides of a triangle must always be greater than the length of the third side. However, in b-metric spaces, this inequality is weakened, allowing for the sum of two sides to be equal to the length of the third side. This allows for a more flexible and generalized approach to measuring distance.

3. What are some applications of the Triangle Inequality in b-metric spaces?

The Triangle Inequality in b-metric spaces has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. It is used in algorithms for finding the shortest path between two points, in optimization problems, and in the analysis of data sets and networks.

4. Can you provide an example of how the Triangle Inequality is used in b-metric spaces?

One example of the Triangle Inequality in b-metric spaces is in the analysis of a transportation network. The distance between two cities can be measured using a b-metric, taking into account factors such as time, cost, and distance. By applying the Triangle Inequality, we can determine the most efficient route between two cities based on these factors.

5. How is the Triangle Inequality related to the concept of a metric space?

The Triangle Inequality is a fundamental property of a metric space, and it is essential for defining the concept of distance. In traditional metric spaces, the Triangle Inequality is a strict requirement, but in b-metric spaces, it is a relaxed condition that allows for a more flexible approach to measuring distance.