1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle Inequality Proof

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    Hello all,

I am currently reading about the triangle inequality, from this article
    http://people.sju.edu/~pklingsb/cs.triang.pdf

I am curious, how does the equality transform into an inequality? Does it take on this change because one takes the absolute value of 2uv? Because before the absolute value, 2uv could be a negative value, thus making all of |u|^2 + 2uv + |v|^2 smaller, is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct ... that is why the first inequality appears. The second one is from the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, as noted.

These are properties that are required for a metric space.

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    I have one other question. In the article, it says that since both sides of the inequality of non-negative, it is permissible to then square both sides of the inequality. Why would it not be possible to square both sides if both sides were negative?

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure that they said "you can square each term since they are all positive". Try that with this inequality:

1 - 2 < 1 .... hence the requirement for all positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook