1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangularity of a matrix over the unitarian space

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    In my book I have a theorem that every matrix is similar to a triangular matrix if the characteristic polynomial could be wrote as a multiplication of linear terms.
    Now suppose we are dealing with a matrix over a unitarian space we know that we can write its characteristic polynomial as a multiplication of linear forms, now what I'm trying to prove is that I can find an orthogonal/orthonormal basis in which the matrix is triangular.

Is this true?
    Can you give me a hint how to prove such as thing?
    [If this is true many examples that I see in my book could be proved in more compact and neat form, so I think this is very useful theorem...]

[EDIT] I have an idea now to use the fact that every matrix in the unitarian space similar to a jordan matrix, so I only need to show that jordan basis could be transformed into orthonormal jordan basis...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi estro! :smile:

Firstly, what is the "unitarian space", I have never heard of this term before...

Secondly, (depending on what unitarian space is), I don't think your theorem is true. If there were an orthogonal basis in which the matrix is triangular, then this would mean that there is a orthogonal basis of (generalized) eigenvectors. But this is not true in general.

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    unitarian space is a liner space V over the field C where the Inner product defined.
    I'll think about what you said.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. Jul 2, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ah, that would be a unitary space. I did see that term once, I completely forgot it :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook