Tricky Complex number simplification

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of equating two steps involving a complex number. The steps involve finding the roots of $ \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\left(1-i\right)}$ and equating it to $ \sqrt{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}{e^{-i(\frac{\pi}{4}-2n\pi)}}}$. The conversation also mentions using $ e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} = i $ and $ e^{i\pi} = -1 $ to solve for the bracket, but the speaker is stuck at this point. Another approach suggested is using the modulus and principal argument of the complex number $1-i$ to obtain its polar form,
ognik
Hi - in an example, I can't follow the working from one of the steps to the next, the 2 steps are:

$... \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}\left(1-i\right)} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}{e^{-i(\frac{\pi}{4}-2n\pi)}}}$

I can see they equate $ \frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}} = e^{-i(\frac{\pi}{4}-2n\pi)}$, and I can see the $ 2n\pi $ allows for n roots (although I don't know why $ - 2n\pi $ instead of $ +2n\pi $?)

But I can't see how $ (1-i) = \sqrt{2}.e^{-i\frac{\pi}{4}} $.

I tried using $ e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} = i $ and $ e^{i\pi} = -1 $, so $ 1-i = -e^{i\pi} - e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} = -2e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{(e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}+ 1) }{2} $...trying to get the bracket to $cos\frac{\pi}{2} = 1 $ but I'm stuck there?

Physics news on Phys.org
The modulus of $1 - i$ is $\sqrt{1^2 + (-1)^2} = \sqrt{2}$ and the principal argument is $\arctan((-1)/1) = \arctan(-1) = -\pi/4$. So the polar form of $1 - i$ is $\sqrt{2}e^{-i\pi/4}$.

That approach will also be useful to remember, thanks Euge.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A complex number has both a real and an imaginary part, while a real number only has a real part. Real numbers can be represented on the number line, while complex numbers have to be represented on the complex plane.

3. How do you simplify complex numbers?

To simplify complex numbers, we use the rules of arithmetic to combine like terms. We also use the fact that i^2 = -1 to eliminate any i^2 terms. Once we have combined like terms, we can write the complex number in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying complex numbers?

Simplifying complex numbers makes them easier to work with in mathematical operations. It also allows us to identify patterns and relationships between complex numbers more easily.

5. Can complex numbers be divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be divided just like real numbers. To divide two complex numbers, we use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator. We then follow the same rules of dividing real numbers.