Tried making a telegraph What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter Vlfe
  • Start date
In summary, you may be able to improve the strength of your electromagnet by using a horseshoe magnet or by decreasing the size of the airgap.
Vlfe
Here is how I set it up:
----.jpg

---.jpg

--.jpg

-.jpg

I am using 22 gauge hookup wire, all of the metal is steel (magnetic), and the nail in the electromagnet part is iron.

Am I connecting the wires to the wrong metal parts, or doing so incorrectly? I found this set up at: http://w1tp.com/perbuild.htm

Please help, I am so lost :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try holding a nail very close to the coil at one end. If you can feel the nail move when you turn the current on and off, the rest of the circuit is probably working OK.

If you have a magnetic compass, that should give a strong indication when it is held near the coil.

This circuit is very rough on batteries, so you would need almost new batteries to make it work.

The metal being attracted to the coil needs to be very close to the coil core to get much attraction. So, if possible, bend your metal so that it is very close to the end of the coil.
This will mean you have to shape the metal to also get proper switching action.

That 'bendy' bit of metal (are you sure it's steel? Aluminium won't work.) looks a bit thick / stiff and it's a long way from the solenoid. You may just be short of magnetic field to make it move. Try bending it lower down, nearer the solenoid and put the solenoid right at the end (better leverage).
If the 'nail test' (above) shows that you actually have an electromagnet then you could improve it considerably by using a 'horseshoe' (a U shaped core) rather than just a rod. Two rods, side by side, sitting on an iron bar would do the job. You need not rewind your coil; it can be just on one of the rods.
Horseshoe magnets (as in all cartoons!) were always used in the past because you could get a much stronger field between the two poles than at just one end. Old steel permanent magnets were rubbish, actually!

I just thought - that bendy strip could be replaced by a see saw mechanism, which would need much less force to make it move.

First check if you actually have an electromagnet by pushing the switch that you made, and see if the solenoid attracts paperclips.

If it does attract paperclips, then your problem is mechanical in nature: the magnet is not strong enough to attract your L-shaped metal "clicker", but is strong enough to attract paperclips.

You can try to increase the strength of the magnet, or decrease the strength of the L-shape by making it more bendable.

A poor man's "clicker" would involve taking a paperclip, straightening the paperclip out, and bending the end to form an L, and jab the end of the paperclip into a styrofoam base. The point is that a paperclip wire is very thin and bendable, so you should have more success.

The L shaped clicker should be U shaped and one end should be under the coil and the other end should be closer to the coil.
Also you might move the body of the clicker farther from the coil so the clicker pulls in easier when the coil in energized.

Great pictures.

a "C Clamp" for electromagnet with coil wrapped around its backside would give you a smaller airgap that'd be adjustable...

you'd have to figure out how to mount it,
but payoff is the smaller the airgap the better the electromagnet will work.

Last edited:

1. Why is my telegraph not sending a signal?

There could be several reasons for this. First, check to make sure all the wires are connected properly and the batteries are charged. Also, make sure the circuit is complete and there are no breaks in the wire. Another possibility is that the telegraph key is not properly adjusting the current flow.

2. How do I know if my telegraph is properly grounded?

To ensure proper grounding, you can use a ground tester or a multimeter. Make sure the ground wire is securely connected to a metal rod or pipe that is in contact with the ground. If using a multimeter, you should get a reading of 0 ohms when testing the ground connection.

3. Can I use any type of wire for my telegraph?

No, you should use a specific type of wire called telegraph wire. This wire is specially designed for telegraph use and has low resistance, allowing for better signal transmission. Using other types of wire may result in a weaker or non-existent signal.

4. How far can my telegraph signal reach?

The distance a telegraph signal can reach depends on several factors such as the strength of the current, the type of wire used, and any interference from other electrical devices. Generally, a telegraph signal can reach up to several miles if the conditions are optimal.

5. Why is my telegraph signal weak or distorted?

Weak or distorted signals can be caused by a variety of factors. Make sure the batteries are fully charged, the connections are secure and clean, and there is no interference from other electrical devices. You may also need to adjust the resistance in the circuit or the sensitivity of the telegraph key to improve the signal quality.