What are the real world applications of sine waves?

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sine and understanding it completely. The process of finding an angle from a ratio of two sides is explained using a unit circle and the Pythagorean Theorem. The beauty and significance of trigonometry in modeling wave phenomena and solving differential equations is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the OP successfully understanding and appreciating trigonometry after struggling with it.
Nano-Passion
I know what sine is but I don't know what it really means!

How do you get an angle from sin 1/2? Where is the process in between? Plugging it in the calculator doesn't quench my thirst for knowledge and mastery of it.

I don't want to just know it, I want to completely understand it... :bugeye:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No sorry, I want to know how can you what is the process of going from a ratio of two sides to an angle? I feel like something is missing in between.

yes, the angle is between the two sides.

Nano-Passion said:

Its okay, I found the answer in another thread. - https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3250322&postcount=4

You are getting too much ahead now, it's crucial to understand trig first without using that formula, unless you already understand *why* that formula is true from Calculus. So I suppose that answer doesn't really help you to "completely understand"...

The link Caramon provided on unit circle is a good way to understand cos and sin, make sure you try to understand this thoroughly. The basic idea is that cos(A) and sin(A) is just the (x,y) coordinate of the point on unit circle which one obtained by moving by angle A from the x-axis counterclockwise. For example, if you are move 45 degree on the circle counterclockwise from the x-axis, then geometry tells you that the coordinate (x,y) of the point satisfies x=y. Since radius of unit circle is 1, you can solve to get x=y=1/sqrt2. That is, cos(A)=sin(A)=1/sqrt2.

Nano-Passion said:
I know what sine is but I don't know what it really means!

How do you get an angle from sin 1/2? Where is the process in between? Plugging it in the calculator doesn't quench my thirst for knowledge and mastery of it.

I don't want to just know it, I want to completely understand it... :bugeye:

Draw the triangle. Place it on a unit circle. Pythagorean Theorem!

Really the old "Soh Cah Toa" saying and a unit circle if all you need to "understand" what the functions are actually representing. Most trig problems from a trig course use angles that can be resolved on the unit circle for a reason, after working through the entire course you should be able to just about resolve any of those major angles in your head without needing a calculator (or the unit circle). I suggest you take a look at the Khan Academy's videos on Trig functions to better explain the idea.

http://www.khanacademy.org/#trigonometry

I think trigonometry is wonderfully beautiful, albeit a bit difficult to grasp at first.

i always found it somewhat mysterious that something as "pointy" as triangles, which are made entirely from straight lines, are so intimately bound up with circles, which hae 'nary a straight line in sight.

have you ever seen a radar scope? there is a line that sweeps out in a circle from some central point. that line forms an angle, with it's "starting place". this angle increases from 0 degrees (at the very start) up to 360 degrees (as it comes "full circle").

now, the line (ok, technically it's a ray, since it only goes on forever in one direction), intersects the circle of radius r (meaning, of course, "whatever" in math-speak) at some point, (x,y). so when the angle of the ray is θ between its current position and its "home position", we call x/r cosine of θ, and y/r sine of θ. to simplify things, it helps to use a circle of radius 1, so as to make the arithmetic easier. then x = cos(θ), y = sin(θ).

so how do we get a triangle out of all this? we use the 3 points (0,0), (x,0) and (x,y). that gives us a triangle which depends only on the angle θ (which is the angle between our ray, and the x-axis).

[URL]http://www.mathnstuff.com/math/spoken/here/2class/330/gif/sincosa.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
The real glory of Trigonometry is that it is one of the classic solutions to the Differential Equations which describe all periodic motion. That would be all wave phenomena. Sines and Cosines and their combination perfectly model music, and all the signals for TV, Radio, Radar, Satellite communication, GPS, Cell phones and the acoustics of speech and singing ... and much more.
Sine waves [the sum of different frequencies] describe the beating of your heart, blinking of your eyes, your breathing, the rotation of the Earth around the sun, etc, etc

The sine wave connection to the triangle is best seen in this previous post #10 gif.
You can see that as the point rotates at some frequency, the position in one plane will trace out the classic sine wave. And this is true if you look along any axis. You can see it bobbing up and down. The waveform generated will be the sine wave vs time if the rotational speed is constant.

Similar ubiquity is found with the exponential e to the ax, but that is another story.

Sorry for the late reply. I should say that I figured it out by the way, the reason that it was driving me insane is that I was thinking about it too hard. It was a little different from what I am used to in algebra. I didn't understand how you plug in sin 1/2 in the calculator and out comes a degree measurement. But I understood that a calculator uses a long formula that I wasn't aware of.

After I was aware of it, everything clicked. I got a 100 on my test and I see the beauty of trig now =D

paulfr said:
The real glory of Trigonometry is that it is one of the classic solutions to the Differential Equations which describe all periodic motion. That would be all wave phenomena. Sines and Cosines and their combination perfectly model music, and all the signals for TV, Radio, Radar, Satellite communication, GPS, Cell phones and the acoustics of speech and singing ... and much more.
Sine waves [the sum of different frequencies] describe the beating of your heart, blinking of your eyes, your breathing, the rotation of the Earth around the sun, etc, etc

The sine wave connection to the triangle is best seen in this previous post #10 gif.
You can see that as the point rotates at some frequency, the position in one plane will trace out the classic sine wave. And this is true if you look along any axis. You can see it bobbing up and down. The waveform generated will be the sine wave vs time if the rotational speed is constant.

Similar ubiquity is found with the exponential e to the ax, but that is another story.

Wow that is fascinating and mind boggling how sin waves can do that!

What is Trig Driving me Insane?

Trig Driving me Insane is a common phrase used to express frustration or difficulty with understanding trigonometry, a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

Why is Trig Driving me Insane?

Trigonometry can be challenging for many people because it requires a solid understanding of algebra and geometry concepts, as well as new concepts such as trigonometric functions and identities. It also involves many abstract and complex calculations, which can be overwhelming for some.

How can I improve my understanding of Trig Driving me Insane?

One way to improve your understanding of trigonometry is to practice regularly. Work through problems and review concepts until they become more familiar. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling.

What are some common mistakes when learning Trig Driving me Insane?

Some common mistakes in learning trigonometry include mixing up trigonometric functions and their inverses, not understanding the unit circle, and forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identities in certain situations. It is important to pay attention to details and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

Can Trig Driving me Insane have real-world applications?

Yes, trigonometry has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, navigation, and more. Understanding trigonometric concepts can also help in problem-solving and critical thinking skills in various aspects of life.