How to find all solutions for x in the interval [0, 2pi) for 2cos(3x) - 1 = 0?

• Thread starter lovemake1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: Watson, There is no general answer to this question, as the period of a cosine function depends on the value of k.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

Find all solution for x in the interval [0, 2pi)
2cos(3x) - 1 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2cos3x = 1
cos3x = 1/2

since x = [0,2pi)
therefore, 3x is [0,6pi)

so.. here is my problem i know that cosx =1/2 is 1/3pi, and how would i go from here?
will i be adding 1/3pi + 2n pi or just 1/3pi + n pi, and how do we know which one to use?
please help,

i will be refreshing the page frequently to respond to your next suggestion or errors i might have.

please help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lovemake1 said:

Homework Statement

2cos(3x) - 1 = 0

Homework Equations

2cos3x = 1
cos3x = 1/2

since x = [0,2pi)
therefore, 3x is [0,6pi)

so.. here is my problem i know that cosx =1/2 is 1/3pi, and how would i go from here?
will i be adding 1/3pi + 2n pi or just 1/3pi + n pi, and how do we know which one to use?
please help,

First you need to find all the solutions from 0 to 2π. Cosine is also positive in quadrant 4, meaning that another solution is 2π-π/3.

So you solutions will be x = π/3,2π-π,3

now when you go around the circle again, you will need to add 2π to all your solutions. Just go around another time and you should get all of your solutions for the problem.

so our goal is to find every positive solution ? meaning for cos = 1/2, quadrant I and IV?
please correct me on this one,
and if it was cos = -1/2 we would find answers from quadrant II and III
as n - 1/2 and n + 1/2, please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks

lovemake1 said:
so our goal is to find every positive solution ? meaning for cos = 1/2, quadrant I and IV?
please correct me on this one,
and if it was cos = -1/2 we would find answers from quadrant II and III
as n - 1/2 and n + 1/2, please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by 'n+1/2', but the part about cosine being negative is correct.

i've found all the solutions for cos = 1/2

pi/3, 2pi/3, 7pi/3, 8pi/3, 13pi/3, 14pi/3, 19pi/3 ( this is greater than 6pi, so excluded)

but since this is 3x not x, which extends the interval from [0,2pi) to [0,6pi]
would we just divide all our answers by 3?

lovemake1 said:
i've found all the solutions for cos = 1/2

pi/3, 2pi/3, 7pi/3, 8pi/3, 13pi/3, 14pi/3, 19pi/3 ( this is greater than 6pi, so excluded)

but since this is 3x not x, which extends the interval from [0,2pi) to [0,6pi]
would we just divide all our answers by 3?

The ones I bolded above are wrong. Those angles are in Quadrant II, not IV. Try again.

Once you fix the above, then yes, you would then have to divide all of the answers by 3.

right, 2pi/3 shud be 5pi/3
and 8pi/3 shud be 11pi/3
14pi/3 shud be 17pi/3

lovemake1 said:

Homework Statement

2cos(3x) - 1 = 0

Homework Equations

2cos3x = 1
cos3x = 1/2

since x = [0,2pi)
therefore, 3x is [0,6pi)

please help,

i will be refreshing the page frequently to respond to your next suggestion or errors i might have.

please help, thanks

Shud not the highlighted be [0,2pi/3)?

joshiemen said:
Shud not the highlighted be [0,2pi/3)?

No, that would mean you are solving cos(x/3)=1/2

If 0≤x<2π, then 0≤3x<6π

rock.freak667 said:
No, that would mean you are solving cos(x/3)=1/2

If 0≤x<2π, then 0≤3x<6π

Dear Rock.freak667,

Does not period of a cosine function

y = a cos kx (k>0)

complete one period as kx varies from 0 to 2pi, that's 0<=kx<=2pi or for 0<=x<=2pi/k? For example period of cos 3x is "2pi/3"...

May be I am mixing up two separate things, ...pls explain, eager to understand...

Thanks,

Josh.

1. What does "Trig, Find solution (0, 2pi]" mean?

The notation (0, 2pi] in trigonometry refers to the interval between 0 and 2π, including 0 but not including 2π. This is often used when finding solutions to trigonometric equations or when graphing trigonometric functions.

2. How do I find solutions in the interval (0, 2pi]?

To find solutions in the interval (0, 2pi], you can use the unit circle or your knowledge of trigonometric identities and equations. You can also use a graphing calculator to find the x-intercepts of a trigonometric function within this interval.

3. Can there be multiple solutions in the interval (0, 2pi]?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions in the interval (0, 2pi] for certain trigonometric equations. For example, the equation sin(x) = 0 has an infinite number of solutions within this interval, as sine has a period of 2π. Other trigonometric functions may have a finite number of solutions within this interval.

4. How do I know if my solution is in the interval (0, 2pi]?

If you are given a specific interval to find solutions in, you can check if your solution falls within that interval by plugging it into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If the solution is outside of the given interval, it may be necessary to find the equivalent solution within the interval using trigonometric identities.

5. Can I use radians or degrees in the interval (0, 2pi]?

In trigonometry, the interval (0, 2pi] is typically used when working with radians. If you are using degrees, the equivalent interval would be (0, 360]. However, it is important to note that radians and degrees are different units of measurement and cannot be used interchangeably in trigonometric equations.