Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trig integral

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm actually in the middle of a multivariable question, and I am stuck because I don't remember how to integrate [tex]sin(\phi)cos(\phi)[/tex] .

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have an understanding of the material, but I can't remember how to integrate this. Someone please refresh my memory :) . I would appreciate some kind of step by step integration, so if this was on the test I would understand how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2
    What is the derivative of sin? Do you remember substitutions?

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), and I do remember substitutions, but I dont know what to substitute, because I can't remember any identities for sin or cos with a power of 1.

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    Do you remember substituting for U then finding the dU, which is the derivative of the U, then making substitutions to the original integral to change the integral interms of the variable U? Make U=sin(x), then what is dU?

6. Nov 3, 2007 #5
    That is so weird. I didnt even think about that. Can you explain why that works, but the integral of sin(x) by itself is -cos(x)? (if your answer is 'it just is' that is perfectly fine). I thought of u substitution--I was thinking that it wouldn't work.

7. Nov 3, 2007 #6
    maybe this will make it easier

[tex]sin{2x}=2sin{x}cos{x}[/tex]

[tex]\int\sin{x}cos{x}dx[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\sin{2x}dx[/tex]

8. Nov 3, 2007 #7
    messed up with my latex, still trying to get the hang of it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  9. Nov 3, 2007 #8
    Let U=sinx

then, dU=cosxdx

so if you substitute thes identities to the original equation:
    [tex]\int[/tex]UdU

Can you integrate that? Then sub it back in with the same identities after you integrate

10. Nov 3, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think rocophysic's method is simpler, since it does not involve any substitutions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook