1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig integral

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm actually in the middle of a multivariable question, and I am stuck because I don't remember how to integrate [tex]sin(\phi)cos(\phi)[/tex] .

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have an understanding of the material, but I can't remember how to integrate this. Someone please refresh my memory :) . I would appreciate some kind of step by step integration, so if this was on the test I would understand how to do it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2
    What is the derivative of sin? Do you remember substitutions?
  4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), and I do remember substitutions, but I dont know what to substitute, because I can't remember any identities for sin or cos with a power of 1.
  5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    Do you remember substituting for U then finding the dU, which is the derivative of the U, then making substitutions to the original integral to change the integral interms of the variable U? Make U=sin(x), then what is dU?
  6. Nov 3, 2007 #5
    That is so weird. I didnt even think about that. Can you explain why that works, but the integral of sin(x) by itself is -cos(x)? (if your answer is 'it just is' that is perfectly fine). I thought of u substitution--I was thinking that it wouldn't work.
  7. Nov 3, 2007 #6
    maybe this will make it easier

8. Nov 3, 2007 #7
    messed up with my latex, still trying to get the hang of it.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  9. Nov 3, 2007 #8
    Let U=sinx

then, dU=cosxdx

so if you substitute thes identities to the original equation:

Can you integrate that? Then sub it back in with the same identities after you integrate
  10. Nov 3, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think rocophysic's method is simpler, since it does not involve any substitutions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?