Integrating Sin(\phi)Cos(\phi): A Step-By-Step Guide

In summary, the person is trying to remember how to integrate sin(x)cos(x), but is having trouble because they can't remember the identities for sin and cos with a power of 1. They think of substituting u instead, but it doesn't work. They finally remember how to integrate sin{2x}=2sin{x}cos{x} and find that dU=cosxdx.
jedjj

Homework Statement

I'm actually in the middle of a multivariable question, and I am stuck because I don't remember how to integrate [tex]sin(\phi)cos(\phi)[/tex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an understanding of the material, but I can't remember how to integrate this. Someone please refresh my memory :) . I would appreciate some kind of step by step integration, so if this was on the test I would understand how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the derivative of sin? Do you remember substitutions?

The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), and I do remember substitutions, but I don't know what to substitute, because I can't remember any identities for sin or cos with a power of 1.

Do you remember substituting for U then finding the dU, which is the derivative of the U, then making substitutions to the original integral to change the integral interms of the variable U? Make U=sin(x), then what is dU?

That is so weird. I didnt even think about that. Can you explain why that works, but the integral of sin(x) by itself is -cos(x)? (if your answer is 'it just is' that is perfectly fine). I thought of u substitution--I was thinking that it wouldn't work.

maybe this will make it easier

[tex]sin{2x}=2sin{x}cos{x}[/tex]

[tex]\int\sin{x}cos{x}dx[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\sin{2x}dx[/tex]

jedjj said:
That is so weird. I didnt even think about that. Can you explain why that works, but the integral of sin(x) by itself is -cos(x)? (if your answer is 'it just is' that is perfectly fine). I thought of u substitution--I was thinking that it wouldn't work.

messed up with my latex, still trying to get the hang of it.

Last edited:
jedjj said:

Let U=sinx

then, dU=cosxdx

so if you substitute thes identities to the original equation:
[tex]\int[/tex]UdU

Can you integrate that? Then sub it back in with the same identities after you integrate

I think rocophysic's method is simpler, since it does not involve any substitutions.

1. What is the purpose of integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ)?

The purpose of integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ) is to find the area under the curve of the product of these two trigonometric functions. This is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as calculating work done by a varying force or finding the displacement of an object with changing velocity.

2. How do you integrate Sin(φ)Cos(φ)?

To integrate Sin(φ)Cos(φ), you can use the substitution method or the product-to-sum formula. The substitution method involves substituting a variable for one of the trigonometric functions and then using the power rule for integration. The product-to-sum formula involves converting the product of Sin(φ) and Cos(φ) into a sum of trigonometric functions and then integrating each term separately.

3. What are the steps for integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ)?

The steps for integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ) are as follows:

1. Apply the product-to-sum formula to convert the product into a sum of trigonometric functions.
  2. Integrate each term separately using the power rule or other integration techniques.
  3. If necessary, use trigonometric identities to simplify the resulting integral.
  4. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ)?

Yes, there are a few special cases when integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ). For example, if the limits of integration are from 0 to π/2 or from π/2 to π, the integral simplifies to a single term. Also, if one of the trigonometric functions is raised to an odd power, you can use the double angle formula to simplify the integral.

5. How can integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ) be applied in real-world situations?

Integrating Sin(φ)Cos(φ) can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force or the displacement of an object with changing velocity. In engineering, it can be used to find the area under a stress-strain curve. In economics, it can be used to calculate the consumer surplus in a market with varying prices.