Exploring the Truth Behind: sin/1+cos = 1-cos/sin

• Thread starter DecayProduct
  • Start date
In summary, the function sin x/(1+ cos x)= (1- cos x)/sin x is not always true. You need parentheses and a variable to simplify the equation.
DecayProduct
OK, first, I'm a grown man, this is not a homework problem. Well, in a way it is, since I'm teaching myself, but anyway.

I have finally graduated to trig and the six basic functions and how they relate. What I'm having a problem with is this:

sin/1+cos = 1-cos/sin

How is this true? I've done every algebraic manipulation I can think of, but I can't see how this can be. I'll show what I have come up with, using the fact that sin x =y/r and cos x =x/r.

It should break down like this: (y/r)/1+(x/r) = [1-(x/r)]/(y/r)

Now, here's how I approached it: Left of the equals sign (y/r)/1+(x/r) = y/(r+x)
Then right of the equals sign: [1-(x/r)]/(y/r) = (r-x)/y

So when does y/(r+x) ever equal (r-x)/y? Thanks for any help provided. And I hope this wasn't too simple for you guys to consider answering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean sin x/(1+ cos x)= (1- cos x)/sin x? What you wrote would be, strictly, interpreted as (sin x/1)+ cos x= 1- (cos x/sin x) which not true! Parentheses are important and, please, never write a function without a variable!

If you multiply both sides of the equation by sin x(1+ cos x), to get rid of the fractions, you get sin2 x= (1+ cos x)(1- cos x)= 1- cos2 x.
Does that remind you of a basic identity?

To answer your last question y/(r+x)= (r- x)/y if and only if (multiplying both sides by y(r+x)) y2= r2- x2, which is the same as x2+ y2= r2.

Well, duh! That makes perfect sense! For some reason, it never occurred to me to treat it like any other fraction and find the LCD. Of course, I intentionally omitted the (x), assuming we all knew it would be "sin(x)" and "cos(x)". Sorry. That's how I've gotten used to doing it when I scribble. Thanks, I'm sure you can tell I'm still struggling with the basic trig identities, but I must say, they are vastly easier than I remember them being in High School.

1. What does the equation sin/1+cos = 1-cos/sin represent?

The equation sin/1+cos = 1-cos/sin represents a trigonometric identity, also known as the quotient identity, which is used to simplify trigonometric expressions.

2. Why is it important to explore the truth behind this equation?

Understanding the truth behind this equation can help us to better understand the fundamental principles of trigonometry and how different trigonometric functions are related to each other.

3. How can this equation be proven?

This equation can be proven using basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. For example, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to manipulate the equation and show that both sides are equal.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation has various real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances in right-angled triangles.

5. What is the relationship between sin/1+cos and 1-cos/sin?

The relationship between sin/1+cos and 1-cos/sin is that they are reciprocals of each other. This means that if we take the inverse of one side of the equation, it will be equal to the other side. For example, if we take the reciprocal of sin/1+cos, we will get 1+cos/sin, which is equal to 1-cos/sin.