1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig problem

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    OK, first, I'm a grown man, this is not a homework problem. Well, in a way it is, since I'm teaching myself, but anyway.

I have finally graduated to trig and the six basic functions and how they relate. What I'm having a problem with is this:

sin/1+cos = 1-cos/sin

How is this true? I've done every algebraic manipulation I can think of, but I can't see how this can be. I'll show what I have come up with, using the fact that sin x =y/r and cos x =x/r.

It should break down like this: (y/r)/1+(x/r) = [1-(x/r)]/(y/r)

Now, here's how I approached it: Left of the equals sign (y/r)/1+(x/r) = y/(r+x)
    Then right of the equals sign: [1-(x/r)]/(y/r) = (r-x)/y

So when does y/(r+x) ever equal (r-x)/y? Thanks for any help provided. And I hope this wasn't too simple for you guys to consider answering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you mean sin x/(1+ cos x)= (1- cos x)/sin x? What you wrote would be, strictly, interpreted as (sin x/1)+ cos x= 1- (cos x/sin x) which not true! Parentheses are important and, please, never write a function without a variable!

If you multiply both sides of the equation by sin x(1+ cos x), to get rid of the fractions, you get sin2 x= (1+ cos x)(1- cos x)= 1- cos2 x.
    Does that remind you of a basic identity?

To answer your last question y/(r+x)= (r- x)/y if and only if (multiplying both sides by y(r+x)) y2= r2- x2, which is the same as x2+ y2= r2.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Well, duh! That makes perfect sense! For some reason, it never occurred to me to treat it like any other fraction and find the LCD. Of course, I intentionally omitted the (x), assuming we all knew it would be "sin(x)" and "cos(x)". Sorry. That's how I've gotten used to doing it when I scribble. Thanks, I'm sure you can tell I'm still struggling with the basic trig identities, but I must say, they are vastly easier than I remember them being in High School.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?