Proving Sin x + Sin 2x + Cos x + Cos 2x = 2√2cos(x/2)sin(3x/2+π/4)

• Thread starter stfz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation sin x + sin 2x + cos x + cos 2x = 2√2 cos (x/2) sin(3x/2+π/4) using double, compound, and half angle formulas. The attempt at a solution involves expanding and simplifying the equation, but there is a discrepancy in the resulting graph. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the formula Asin(x) + Bcos(x) = √(A^2+B^2)sin(x+α) to potentially solve the problem.
stfz

Homework Statement

Prove that: ##sin x + sin 2x + cos x + cos 2x = 2\sqrt{2} cos (\frac{x}{2}) sin(\frac{3x}{2}+\frac{\pi}{4})##

Homework Equations

We know all the double, compound, and half angle formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking on the RHS, we have
upload_2014-10-30_9-39-43.png

Expanding with half angle formula and compound angle formula

Hence we can cancel the sqrt(2) on the left, and replace sin/cos (pi/4) with exact values
And we have
upload_2014-10-30_9-42-59.png

If we expand the half angles in the right bracket
upload_2014-10-30_9-46-11.png

And then the sqrt(2) on the bottom can multiply to make 2, we can +/- them together
upload_2014-10-30_9-48-2.png

And cancel the twos.
Is it possible to cancel the +/- signs?
However, the graph of my result does not match that of the original.
For example, if I graph
upload_2014-10-30_9-40-54.png

As two graphs, one with a + and the other with a -, I find that the original graph

Is equal to the + graph in some intervals, and equal to the - graph in other intervals.

Please help! :)
Thanks

Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
stfz said:

Homework Statement

Prove that: ##sin x + sin 2x + cos x + cos 2x = 2\sqrt{2} cos (\frac{x}{2}) sin(\frac{3x}{2}+\frac{\pi}{4})##

Homework Equations

We know all the double, compound, and half angle formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking on the RHS, we have
View attachment 74954
Expanding with half angle formula and compound angle formula
View attachment 74954
Hence we can cancel the sqrt(2) on the left, and replace sin/cos (pi/4) with exact values
And we have
View attachment 74957
If we expand the half angles in the right bracket
View attachment 74958
And then the sqrt(2) on the bottom can multiply to make 2, we can +/- them together
View attachment 74959
And cancel the twos.
Is it possible to cancel the +/- signs?
However, the graph of my result does not match that of the original.
For example, if I graph
View attachment 74955
As two graphs, one with a + and the other with a -, I find that the original graph View attachment 74954
Is equal to the + graph in some intervals, and equal to the - graph in other intervals.

Please help! :)
Thanks

Stephen

Have you ever seen this formula? ##Asin(x) + Bcos(x) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}sin(x+α) \ \ (α = tan^{-1}(\frac{B}{A}))##

Hmm... Maybe that will work! Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it

1. What is the purpose of proving the equation Sin x + Sin 2x + Cos x + Cos 2x = 2√2cos(x/2)sin(3x/2+π/4)?

The purpose of proving this equation is to show a mathematical relationship between the trigonometric functions of sin and cos. This equation can also be used to simplify and solve more complex trigonometric equations.

2. How is the equation Sin x + Sin 2x + Cos x + Cos 2x = 2√2cos(x/2)sin(3x/2+π/4) derived?

This equation is derived from the sum and difference identities for sin and cos, as well as the half-angle identities.

3. What is the significance of the constant values 2√2 and π/4 in the equation Sin x + Sin 2x + Cos x + Cos 2x = 2√2cos(x/2)sin(3x/2+π/4)?

The constant values 2√2 and π/4 represent the exact values of the trigonometric functions at specific angles. They are used to simplify the equation and show the relationship between the different trigonometric functions.

4. Can this equation be used to solve other trigonometric equations?

Yes, this equation can be used to simplify and solve other trigonometric equations. By rearranging the equation and substituting in known values, it can help solve for unknown values of sin and cos.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

As with any mathematical equation, there are limitations to its applicability. This equation only holds true for specific values of x and does not account for all possible values of sin and cos. Additionally, it is limited to the use of the sum and difference identities and half-angle identities.