Solving for t in a Trig Sin Function

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the sine function, specifically finding values of t for which sin(10t-0.927) is equal to 0.5. The first solution is found to be t = 0.1451, and the conversation then explores finding other solutions for this equation. The general form of sinx=sin(pi-x) is mentioned, and a method for finding the other solutions is suggested.
Sparky_
Greetings,

I've solved (almost) a problem - with the answer involving sin().

My first solution involves values for which sin() is equal to 0.5 - i.e.30 degrees or 0.5235.

The internal of the sin function is sin(10t -0.927)
t = 0.1451

To complete this solution I need to show the other solutions for this - that is the other values of t for which sin (10t - 0.927) = 0.5.

I thought it would be every pi/2 but I see that does not work.

It's obvious less than pi and greater than pi/2 - meaning the simple sin wave starts at 0 goes through 0.5 crests at 1 at pi/2 and goes back through 0.5 (at what value?) and to 0 at pi.

Thanks so much
-Sparky_

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sin(pi/6)=sin(5pi/6)=.5

The general form is sinx=sin(pi-x).

I can't figure out the rest of your post.

I was solving sin(10t-0.927) = 0.5
t = 0.1451

but it will actually be t = 0.1451 + (something periodic)

how do I find the something periodic? - meaning t = 0.1451 =n*pi/2 or some such?

Suppose you set 10t-0.927 equal to a new variable y. Then you would have sin(y) = 0.5, and

[tex]y=\frac{\pi}{6} + 2n\pi \text{ or }y=\frac{5\pi}{6} + 2n\pi[/tex]

because sine has a period of [tex]2\pi[/tex], and [tex]\sin a = \sin(\pi - a)[/tex]. Replace y with 10t-0.927 in both of those cases and solve for t.

1. What is the purpose of the trigonometric sine function?

The trigonometric sine function, commonly denoted as sin(x), is used to relate the angle of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. It is also used to model periodic phenomena in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is the sine function calculated?

The sine function is calculated by taking the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. This ratio is represented as sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse.

3. What is the domain and range of the sine function?

The domain of the sine function is all real numbers, while the range is between -1 and 1. This means that the sine function can output any value between -1 and 1, inclusive.

4. What are the key properties of the sine function?

The sine function is an odd function, meaning that sin(-x) = -sin(x). It is also a periodic function with a period of 2π, meaning that it repeats itself every 2π units on the x-axis. The maximum value of the sine function is 1, and the minimum value is -1.

5. How is the sine function used in real-world applications?

The sine function has many real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and the motion of pendulums. It is also used in navigation and surveying to determine distances and angles.