Solving Trigonometric Equations: What is the Best Way?

In summary, when solving trigonometric equations, it is possible to get different answers depending on the method used. To ensure that all answers are the same, one can try using algebraic identities or plugging in different values or graphing the expressions. This is due to the nature of trigonometric functions, where different angles can have the same value.
phymatter
while solving trigonometric equations many times we get answer in different forms depending on the way in which we solve the problem , so what is the best way to ascertain that all the answers are the same ??
pl. help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean, that you might get the answer as 2 cos(x) sin(x), or as sin(2x) ?

One thing you could do, besides trying to use algebraic identities to transform one into the other, is plug in some values (for example [itex]0, \pi/12, 2\pi/12, 3\pi/12, \ldots, \pi[/itex]) or draw the graphs of the two expressions (for example, http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+2+cos(x)+sin(x)+and+sin(2x)).

Hi, I hope I got your question right. Due to the nature of trig' functions as seen in the Unit Circle (wiki for more info). so sin30=1/2 but sin150=1/2 as well. The simple identity for this is sinx=a+180k,a

What is the best way to solve trigonometric equations?

The best way to solve trigonometric equations depends on the form of the equation. Some common methods include using trigonometric identities, graphing the equation, or using inverse trigonometric functions.

Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, using a calculator can be helpful in solving trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the solution, rather than solely relying on a calculator.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not using the correct unit circle values, and not simplifying properly.

Why are trigonometric equations important in science?

Trigonometric equations are important in science because they allow us to model and understand many natural phenomena, such as waves, oscillations, and rotations. They are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently include recognizing common patterns and using trigonometric identities, practicing regularly, and breaking down the equation into smaller, more manageable steps.