1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonmetric Integration Question

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I figure it would be appropriate to briefly introduce myself before asking my question.

My name is Nick. I've graduated highschool and I am presently taking the year off before attending university next fall. Having a lot of free time has allowed me to begin learning Calculus II topics that I'll inevitably encounter in the future.

Anyways, on to my question(s):

[tex]\int {{-1}\over{cos^2(x)}} dx[/tex]
    [tex]= -\int {{sin^2(x) + cos^2(x)}\over{cos^2(x)}} dx [/tex]
    [tex]= -\int {{sin^2(x)}\over{cos^2(x)}} dx -\int {{cos^2(x)}\over{cos^2(x)}}dx [/tex]
    [tex]= -\int tan^2(x) dx - \int dx [/tex]
    [tex]= ?[/tex]

Alas, I do not know how to properly integrate [tex]tan^2(x)[/tex]

I am relatively confident, however, that my above reasoning is corect. This is because the answer to the following integral is supposed to be:

[tex]\int tan^2(x)dx = tan(x) - x + C[/tex]

[tex]\int {{-1}\over{cos^2(x)}} dx[/tex]
    [tex]= -\int tan^2(x) dx - \int dx [/tex]
    [tex]= -tan(x) + x - C - x + D [/tex]
    [tex]= -tan(x) + K [/tex]

Which should be the correct answer. Thus, my problem is in integrating the tangent x squared function.

Thank-you in advance,

Edit: It appears this forum uses a different tex protocol than what I am used to on another forum I frequent. I'm attempting to figure this out, but I do appologize for the confusing mess above.

Edit 2: I believe I found the culprit. The textit code does not apply on this forum. :)
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2
    [tex] \int \tan^{2}x dx= \int \sec^{2}x-1\ dx = \tan x - x + C [/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    Ugh... now don't I feel rather stupid.

Trigonmetric identities will be the death of me.
  5. Nov 8, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah but [tex]\int \sec^2x dx[/tex] is precisely what he's trying to integrate. The question is, how can it be seen that tanx is a primitive of sec²x?
  6. Nov 8, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you're just assumed to have differentiated tanx before and you remembered that is gave sec²x.
  7. Nov 9, 2006 #6

I knew [tex]{d\over{dx}} tanx = sec^2x [/tex]. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?