1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric substitution. Pretty confused where constant comes from. (fixed)

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Find ∫from .6 to 0 x^2/ sqrt(9-25x^2) dx

My teacher worked this on the board a little confused
    O obviously the trig sub is asintheta. But it isn't in the right form yet. So get it there you pull out a 25 --) sqrt(25(9/25) - x^2 ) 5sqrt((9/25)-x^2 so x= (3/5) sintheta so dx = 3/5costheta. so you change the bounds pi/2 to 0
    When you replace everything you get
    ∫pi/2 to 0 (9/25) times ( sin^2θ/ 3cosθ) times (3/5) cosdθ

Where does that (9/25) come from?

I understand how to do the rest, just totally confused where that constant comes

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x=(3/5)sin(theta) then the x^2 in the numerator becomes (9/25)sin(theta)^2. Is that the factor you are looking for?

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks, it is that factor. But if you think about the cos too. It would be (3/5sinθ)2 --) 9/25 sintheta on the numerator and 3/5 cos theta on the demoniator. So wouldn't that give you 25/9 times 5 if you keep the 3 where she kept it with the cos.

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like you are looking a solution and trying to figure out where everything comes from without working it out for yourself. Why don't you try doing it from scratch? Put x=(3/5)sin(theta) and work it out from there. It's really the best way to learn.

6. Sep 25, 2012 #5
    Yeah, I was. Thanks , I just figured it out. That was actually kinda simple. I think I was just was over thinking it : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook