Trigonometric substitution. Pretty confused where constant comes from. (fixed)

In summary: Yeah, I was. Thanks, I just figured it out. That was actually kinda simple. I think I was just was over thinking it : )
randoreds
Find ∫from .6 to 0 x^2/ sqrt(9-25x^2) dx

My teacher worked this on the board a little confused
O obviously the trig sub is asintheta. But it isn't in the right form yet. So get it there you pull out a 25 --) sqrt(25(9/25) - x^2 ) 5sqrt((9/25)-x^2 so x= (3/5) sintheta so dx = 3/5costheta. so you change the bounds pi/2 to 0
When you replace everything you get
∫pi/2 to 0 (9/25) times ( sin^2θ/ 3cosθ) times (3/5) cosdθ

Where does that (9/25) come from?

I understand how to do the rest, just totally confused where that constant comes

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
randoreds said:
Find ∫from .6 to 0 x^2/ sqrt(9-25x^2) dx

My teacher worked this on the board a little confused
O obviously the trig sub is asintheta. But it isn't in the right form yet. So get it there you pull out a 25 --) sqrt(25(9/25) - x^2 ) 5sqrt((9/25)-x^2 so x= (3/5) sintheta so dx = 3/5costheta. so you change the bounds pi/2 to 0
When you replace everything you get
∫pi/2 to 0 (9/25) times ( sin^2θ/ 3cosθ) times (3/5) cosdθ
^
||
Where does that (9/25) come from?

I understand how to do the rest, just totally confused where that constant comes

If x=(3/5)sin(theta) then the x^2 in the numerator becomes (9/25)sin(theta)^2. Is that the factor you are looking for?

Dick said:
If x=(3/5)sin(theta) then the x^2 in the numerator becomes (9/25)sin(theta)^2. Is that the factor you are looking for?

Thanks, it is that factor. But if you think about the cos too. It would be (3/5sinθ)2 --) 9/25 sintheta on the numerator and 3/5 cos theta on the demoniator. So wouldn't that give you 25/9 times 5 if you keep the 3 where she kept it with the cos.

randoreds said:
Thanks, it is that factor. But if you think about the cos too. It would be (3/5sinθ)2 --) 9/25 sintheta on the numerator and 3/5 cos theta on the demoniator. So wouldn't that give you 25/9 times 5 if you keep the 3 where she kept it with the cos.

It looks like you are looking a solution and trying to figure out where everything comes from without working it out for yourself. Why don't you try doing it from scratch? Put x=(3/5)sin(theta) and work it out from there. It's really the best way to learn.

Dick said:
It looks like you are looking a solution and trying to figure out where everything comes from without working it out for yourself. Why don't you try doing it from scratch? Put x=(3/5)sin(theta) and work it out from there. It's really the best way to learn.

Yeah, I was. Thanks , I just figured it out. That was actually kinda simple. I think I was just was over thinking it : )

1. What is trigonometric substitution and when is it used?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in calculus to solve integrals involving algebraic expressions and trigonometric functions. It is typically used when the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic expression.

2. How do you perform trigonometric substitution?

To perform trigonometric substitution, you first need to identify which trigonometric substitution to use based on the form of the integrand. Then, you substitute the appropriate trigonometric function and use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. Why is a constant often added to the substituted variable?

The constant is added to the substituted variable in order to maintain the correct relationship between the substituted variable and the original variable. This allows for the correct substitution to be made and for the integral to be solved accurately.

4. Can trigonometric substitution be used with any integral?

No, trigonometric substitution can only be used for certain types of integrals, specifically ones that involve algebraic expressions and trigonometric functions. For other types of integrals, other methods such as integration by parts or u-substitution may be more appropriate.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution include forgetting to add the constant to the substituted variable, incorrectly choosing the trigonometric substitution, and not simplifying the integral using trigonometric identities. It is important to carefully follow the steps of trigonometric substitution to avoid these errors.