1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry and Vectors Help

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lighthouse that rises 49 ft above the surface of the water sits on a rocky cliff that extends 19 feet from its base. A sailor on the deck of a ship sights the top of the lighthouse at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. If the sailor's eye level is 14 ft above the surface of the water, how far is the ship from the rocks?

2. Relevant equations

tanx=opp/adj

3. The attempt at a solution

tan30=35/x
    xtan30=35
    x=35/(tan30)
    x=60.6 ft

Since the lighthouse is 49 feet above the surface and the sailor is 14 feet above the surface, the opposite side of the triangle is 35 feet, but I can't get the right answer doing this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wording of the problem is not that clear. I believe when saying that ' the rock cliff extends 19 feet from its base ' , that it means that the rocks start 19 feet horizontally away the lighthouse. So your method is correct, just make the necessary adjustment to your answer.

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    That's what I thought, too, but it gives me a picture and it's clear that is not the case. I did try it though and still got the answer wrong.

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does the pic show??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook