1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Question: Find the max and min.

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the maximum and minimum values of 4cos[tex]\theta[/tex]-3sin[tex]\theta[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to do this question

Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Try to draw a plot - even if it will not give you an exact answer, it may give you some hints.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The trick to these kinds of problems is to write Asin(x) - Bcos(x) as Csin(x - [itex]\theta[/itex]). It can then be seen that the maximum value is C and the minimum value is -C (assuming that C > 0).
    4cos[itex]\theta[/itex] - 3sin[itex]\theta[/itex]
    = 5[(4/5)cos[itex]\theta[/itex] - (3/5)sin[itex]\theta[/itex]]

Now what you need to do is find an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] such that sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 4/5 and cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 3/5. Then you can use the identity sinAcosB - cosAsinB = sin(A-B).

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    I'm just curious, can you go into more detail how you generated this from,

6. Dec 19, 2009 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Do you mean why it's true, or why Mark wrote it like that? It's easy to prove why it's true: just expand and you get 4cos x - 3 sin x. As for why it's useful, you want an equation of the form cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b), because such an equation is equal to cos(a+b). Since cos(a) can't be 4 and sin(a) can't be 3, Mark decided to factor out a five. You can just as well factor out a ten, or a 100.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook