Effect of Non-Circular Orbits on Trigonometry Word Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption that the orbits of Earth and Venus are circles and its impact on the results of a math problem. The equations used in the problem are also examined. Ultimately, the question is posed about what would happen if the orbits were not circles.
k_dee

Homework Statement

The orbits of Earth and Venus are so close to being circles that on the scale of the diagram below, you would not be able to tell they were not circles.

a) Do you think the assumption that the orbits are circles has a significant effect on the result?
b) Where in the calculations did we use the fact the orbits are circles?

Homework Equations

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u234/kkaatthhyy/MATH.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have difficulty understanding this math problem.. can you guys help me? anyone?
what do i have to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
There must be more given information than what you have provided, where did you get your equations from? What is E1 and E2, where did you get the measure of the angle for the cos(x) in the equations?

Ah ha yeah I understand the question now, since I can not actually just give you the answer let me pose this question to you,

for 8 part a, you used the fact that both sets of variables such as [tex] s_{1} \;\; s_{2} \;\; e_{1} \;\; e_{2} \;\; v_{1} \;\; v_{2} [/tex] etc actually have the same relations to one another, but in reality the orbits are not circles and thus not uniform, what does that tell you?

for 8 part b, it is kind of hard for me to come up with a way of saying this without giving it away but here is a question, when finding the two equations that described the two problems did you use information from one equation to complete the other? If they were not circles would you still have been able to do the operation that you did? (what I said in the prior paragraph could be carried over here.)

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of angles and the relationships between sides and angles in triangles.

2. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has a wide range of applications in real life, such as in engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It is also used in fields like architecture, physics, and even music.

3. Why are word problems important in trigonometry?

Word problems help students apply the concepts of trigonometry to real-world scenarios, making the subject more relevant and practical. They also help in developing problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common trigonometry word problems?

Some common trigonometry word problems involve determining the height of an object, finding the distance between two objects, or calculating the angles of a triangle.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving trigonometry word problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving trigonometry word problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a teacher or use online resources for additional practice.