Triple integral changing order of integration

In summary, the region being integrated is a triangle bounded by x = 0 , y = 4 and y = 2x with z going from 0 to 4.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

rewrite using the order dx dy dz
[itex] \int_0^2 \int_{2x}^4\int_0^{sqrt(y^2-4x^2)}dz dy dx [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble because i don't know what the full 3 dimensional region looks like but the part on the xy plane is a triangle bounded by x = 0 , y = 4 and y = 2x
In this region z goes from 0 to 4 so I think those will be the limits of integration with respect to z , but I am having trouble finding the others. i know x goes from 0 to y/2 but I don't think that will be the correct limits of integration with respect to x here. I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me get started on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

rewrite using the order dx dy dz
[itex] \int_0^2 \int_{2x}^4\int_0^{sqrt(y^2-4x^2)}dz dy dx [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble because i don't know what the full 3 dimensional region looks like
You can pretty much read off the constraints from the limits of integration.
Workeing from z to y to x, the region is ##0 \le z \le \sqrt{y^2 - 4x^2}##, ##2x \le y \le 4##, and ##0 \le x \le 2##.

z does NOT go from 0 to 4 as you say below.
toothpaste666 said:
but the part on the xy plane is a triangle bounded by x = 0 , y = 4 and y = 2x
In this region z goes from 0 to 4 so I think those will be the limits of integration with respect to z , but I am having trouble finding the others. i know x goes from 0 to y/2 but I don't think that will be the correct limits of integration with respect to x here. I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me get started on this one.

Mark44 said:
z does NOT go from 0 to 4 as you say below.
unless I'm making a mistake, the points (0,0,0) and (0,4,4) are both in the region being integrated.

toothpaste666 said:
I am having trouble because i don't know what the full 3 dimensional region looks like
Label as ##z_{max}## the upper integration limit of z for any x,y combination, and then write an equation connecting ##x,y,z_{max}##. That equation defines the boundary of the volume being integrated. If you are familiar with the equations of conic sections that should give you an idea of the shape of the volume.

andrewkirk said:
unless I'm making a mistake, the points (0,0,0) and (0,4,4) are both in the region being integrated.
That might be, but from the original integration limits, the interval for z is between z = 0 and ##z = \sqrt{y^2 - 4x^2}##, which is an elliptical paraboloid. My point was that the interval along the z-axis is not between the planes z = 0 and z = 4, as the OP implied.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
My point was that the interval along the z-axis is not between the planes z = 0 and z = 4, as the OP implied
I took that reference in the OP to instead mean that, when the order of integration is reversed, the limits of the outer integral will be ##z=0## to ##z=4##, with which I agree. But I suppose either interpretation can be drawn from what was written.

andrewkirk said:
I took that reference in the OP to instead mean that, when the order of integration is reversed, the limits of the outer integral will be ##z=0## to ##z=4##, with which I agree. But I suppose either interpretation can be drawn from what was written.
I was looking at this from the perspective of the shape of the region, as defined by the original limits of integration.

@toothpaste666: You aren't likely to solve this problem until you draw at least a first octant sketch. I would suggest you draw the traces in the ##xy## plane and the ##yz## plane for starters. Then draw the traces in the planes ##y=0,~ y=1##, and ##y = 4## in the first octant. That should give you enough to see what the shape of the figure is. It is not a portion of an elliptic paraboloid as has been suggested. Once you have that, come back with your try at the limits for ##dxdydz##.

LCKurtz said:
It is not a portion of an elliptic paraboloid as has been suggested.
By me, in error. It's elliptic, but not a paraboloid.

ok I may be completely off but it is starting to look like part of a cone and I think the limits of integration for x will be z/2 to y/2 . then i think the limits for y should be z to 4 because z=y on the zy plane and y = 2x and then I think z will be integrated from 0 to 4

toothpaste666 said:
ok I may be completely off but it is starting to look like part of a cone

That is correct. It's part of an elliptic cone, located in the first octant.

and I think the limits of integration for x will be z/2 to y/2

No. Think of a point in the interior of the volume. Move it in the ##x## direction. What is ##x## on the back surface? What is ##x## on the front surface?

0 to y/2 ?

No, I think you are just guessing now. You have the equation, and presumably a rough sketch, of the surface. What is ##x## on the front surface?

I don't want to just guess so first i want to make sure my picture is correct. This is what I have drawn:

IMG_1109.JPG

Normally we draw xyz graphs in a right handed coordinate system, unlike your picture. Using your picture, the question would be what is x on the left and x on the right, on the surface, not the xy plane.

it wouldn't be from 0 to y/2? or wait that would only be on the xy plane? so it would be from 0 to (1/2)sqrt(y^2-z^2)

Bingo! And your y and z limits you had gotten from the yz plane are correct.

Likes toothpaste666
Thank you all so much!

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a single and double integral, where a function of three variables is integrated over a three-dimensional region in space.

2. What is changing the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration is rearranging the order in which the variables are integrated in a multiple integral. This is done to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. Why would we want to change the order of integration in a triple integral?

The order of integration can be changed to make the integral easier to evaluate, especially when the region of integration is complicated. It can also help in visualizing the region and understanding the integral better.

4. What is the process of changing the order of integration in a triple integral?

The process involves rewriting the integral by interchanging the order of the integrals with respect to the three variables. This is done by changing the limits of integration for each variable, and can involve using different coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the order of integration in a triple integral?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met in order to change the order of integration. These include the integrand being continuous over the region of integration, and the region being well-defined and bounded.