Triple Integral in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the triple integral of the function square root of x squared plus y squared over the region inside a cylinder, between two planes, using cylindrical coordinates. The solution involves using the bounds of the integral and the infinitesimal volume element in cylindrical coordinates. The correct answer is found by integrating over r squared instead of just r. The reasoning behind this is that the infinitesimal change in arc length is r times the change in angle, not just the change in angle.
daveyman
Revised question is below.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int\int\int_E{\sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex] where E is the region that lies inside the cylinder [tex]x^2+y^2=16[/tex] and between the planes z=-5 and z=4.

Homework Equations

For cylindrical coordinates, [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The inside of the integral becomes [tex]\sqrt{r^2}=r[/tex]. Then I integrated using the following bounds: [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r drdzd\theta[/tex]

However, this gives me an answer of [tex]144\pi[/tex]. I've tried several things in Mathematica and I finally tried [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r^2drdzd\theta[/tex] which actually gave me the right answer of [tex]384\pi[/tex]. However, integrating over [tex]r^2[/tex] makes no sense.

Any ideas?

The infinitesimal volume element in cylindrical coordinates is [itex]dV=rdrd\theta dz[/itex] not just [itex]drd\theta dz[/itex]

Thank you for your quick response! I have one more question, though.

Doesn't the [tex]dr[/tex] take care of the radial component of the volume? Why does it need to be [tex]r dr[/tex]?

I realize this is a naive question, but I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
[itex]dr[/itex] does take care of the radial component, but the tangential component is [itex]r d\theta[/itex] not [itex]d \theta[/itex]...remember that the arc length subtended by an angle [itex] \theta[/itex] is [itex]r \theta[/itex]...the same is true for the infinitesimal change in arc length.

Oh I get it. Thank you so much!

What is a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral in cylindrical coordinates is a type of mathematical calculation that is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object in a cylindrical coordinate system. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in cylindrical coordinates.

How is a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates different from a regular triple integral?

In a regular triple integral, the region of integration is defined using rectangular coordinates (x, y, z). In a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, the region of integration is defined using cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z). This allows for easier calculations when working with cylindrical objects.

What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral?

Cylindrical coordinates are advantageous for calculating triple integrals because they are well-suited for objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. This can make the integration process simpler and more efficient.

How do you set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to define the region of integration using the appropriate limits for the cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z). Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function being integrated over the region. Finally, you can use the appropriate integration formula to evaluate the triple integral.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank or silo, determining the mass of a cylindrical object, or finding the electric field of a cylindrical charge distribution. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics for solving problems involving cylindrical symmetry.