Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Triple Integral in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Revised question is below.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate [tex]\int\int\int_E{\sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex] where E is the region that lies inside the cylinder [tex]x^2+y^2=16[/tex] and between the planes z=-5 and z=4.

2. Relevant equations
    For cylindrical coordinates, [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    The inside of the integral becomes [tex]\sqrt{r^2}=r[/tex]. Then I integrated using the following bounds: [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r drdzd\theta[/tex]

However, this gives me an answer of [tex]144\pi[/tex]. I've tried several things in Mathematica and I finally tried [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r^2drdzd\theta[/tex] which actually gave me the right answer of [tex]384\pi[/tex]. However, integrating over [tex]r^2[/tex] makes no sense.

Any ideas?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The infinitesimal volume element in cylindrical coordinates is [itex]dV=rdrd\theta dz[/itex] not just [itex]drd\theta dz[/itex]

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Thank you for your quick response! I have one more question, though.

Doesn't the [tex]dr[/tex] take care of the radial component of the volume? Why does it need to be [tex]r dr[/tex]?

I realize this is a naive question, but I really appreciate your help.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]dr[/itex] does take care of the radial component, but the tangential component is [itex]r d\theta[/itex] not [itex]d \theta[/itex]...remember that the arc length subtended by an angle [itex] \theta[/itex] is [itex]r \theta[/itex]...the same is true for the infinitesimal change in arc length.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    Oh I get it. Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook