Triple Integral in Cylindrical Coordinates

• Thread starter daveyman
  • Start date
Revised question is below.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int\int\int_E{\sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex] where E is the region that lies inside the cylinder [tex]x^2+y^2=16[/tex] and between the planes z=-5 and z=4.

Homework Equations

For cylindrical coordinates, [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The inside of the integral becomes [tex]\sqrt{r^2}=r[/tex]. Then I integrated using the following bounds: [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r drdzd\theta[/tex]

However, this gives me an answer of [tex]144\pi[/tex]. I've tried several things in Mathematica and I finally tried [tex]\int _0^{2*\pi }\int _{-5}^4\int _0^4r^2drdzd\theta[/tex] which actually gave me the right answer of [tex]384\pi[/tex]. However, integrating over [tex]r^2[/tex] makes no sense.

Any ideas?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The infinitesimal volume element in cylindrical coordinates is [itex]dV=rdrd\theta dz[/itex] not just [itex]drd\theta dz[/itex]

Thank you for your quick response! I have one more question, though.

Doesn't the [tex]dr[/tex] take care of the radial component of the volume? Why does it need to be [tex]r dr[/tex]?

I realize this is a naive question, but I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[itex]dr[/itex] does take care of the radial component, but the tangential component is [itex]r d\theta[/itex] not [itex]d \theta[/itex]...remember that the arc length subtended by an angle [itex] \theta[/itex] is [itex]r \theta[/itex]...the same is true for the infinitesimal change in arc length.

Oh I get it. Thank you so much!