1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral in cylindrical/spherical

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of the solid.
    The solid is enclosed by the paraboloid z=x2+y2 and the plane z=9

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm getting close to the answer but not quite, and I keep getting a negative which doesn't make sense. And I think my limit on the second integration needs to be a function of theta.

I chose z=9 as my z upper limit and z=r2 as my lower and just used rdzdrd(theta) as my integrand. Used 0 for lower limit for both dr and dtheta and started to use sqrt(9/2) as my upper limits for both dr and d(theta) but then changed d(theta's) upper limit to 2pi.

I need help lol.
    BTW.. My notation on this is sloppy. I originally started with the z limits reversed but changed it once I integrated.. sorry.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    I believe you have the limits for z reversed, and the limits for r should be 0 and 3.
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    I thought I would mention that there is a simple way to solve this problem by considering the total volume of the cylinder with radius R=3 and height H=9 and then subtracting off the excess volume. The excess volume can be expressed as an area spun around the z axis, and the result is very simple as follows.

[tex] V=2\pi R^2 H - 2 \pi \int_0^R f(x) x dx =81\pi-2\pi \int_0^3 x^3 dx ={{81 \pi}\over{2} [/tex]

Little tricks like this can save time, or provide a way to check your answer when you are required to demonstrate your ability to do the triple integral.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook