Triple integral, limits of integration

In summary: Pretty general question.Integrate f(x,y,z) dxdydz over the area defined by:x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} \leq 4x \leq 0y \leq 0z \leq 0It is immidiately apparent that it is 1/8 of a sphere with r=2. So from that geometrical intuition we can do a variable substitution to spherical coordinates and use the following limits of integration.0 < r < 20 < θ < pi/20 < σ < pi/2Or something. What I'm wondering is: how would you go
Gauss M.D.
Pretty general question.

Integrate f(x,y,z) dxdydz over the area defined by:

[itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} \leq 4[/itex]
[itex]x \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]y \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]z \leq 0[/itex]

It is immidiately apparent that it is 1/8 of a sphere with r=2. So from that geometrical intuition we can do a variable substitution to spherical coordinates and use the following limits of integration.

0 < r < 2
0 < θ < pi/2
0 < σ < pi/2

Or something. What I'm wondering is: how would you go about finding these limits algebraically?? Let θ be the angle to the z axis and σ be the angle between the x and y-axis and you would get

0 < θ < pi/2

But how would you figure out the angle between x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
Pretty general question.

[itex]x \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]y \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]z \leq 0[/itex]

It is immidiately apparent that it is 1/8 of a sphere with r=2. So from that geometrical intuition we can do a variable substitution to spherical coordinates and use the following limits of integration.

0 < r < 2
0 < θ < pi/2
0 < σ < pi/2

Or something. What I'm wondering is: how would you go about finding these limits algebraically?? Let θ be the angle to the z axis and σ be the angle between the x and y-axis and you would get

0 < θ < pi/2

Spherical coordinates :

##x = rcosθsin \phi##
##y = rsinθsin \phi##
##z = rcos \phi##
##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2##
##|J| = r^2sin \phi##

For starters, your limits for r are incorrect. Check them again.

What? How are my limits for r incorrect?

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 < 2^2
r^2 < 2^2
r < 2

Gauss M.D. said:
What? How are my limits for r incorrect?

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 < 2^2
r^2 < 2^2
r < 2

So you get ##r^2 ≤ 4## which implies that ##|r| ≤ 2##.

Gauss M.D. said:
Pretty general question.

[itex]x \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]y \leq 0[/itex]
[itex]z \leq 0[/itex]

0 < r < 2
0 < θ < pi/2
0 < σ < pi/2

No, you can't use those limits without knowing some kind of symmetry conditions on the integrand ##f(x,y,z)##. Changing to spherical coordinates is appropriate, but draw a 3d coordinate system and use it to figure out the appropriate ##(\rho,\phi,\theta)## limits for that back octant.

Gauss M.D. said:

0 < r < 2
0 < θ < pi/2
0 < σ < pi/2

yes, as you say it's an octant, they're all the same, so you certainly can choose the "positive" octant and integrate to find the volume of that (if you don't already know the formula for the volume of a sphere! :wink:)
What I'm wondering is: how would you go about finding these limits algebraically?? Let θ be the angle to the z axis and σ be the angle between the x and y-axis and you would get

0 < θ < pi/2

isn't it obviously π/2 ? and haven't you already written 0 < σ < π/2 ? :confused:

(perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question)​

as an exercise, what do you think the limits are for the given ("negative") octant? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes, as you say it's an octant, they're all the same, so you certainly can choose the "positive" octant and integrate to find the volume of that (if you don't already know the formula for the volume of a sphere! :wink:)

But they aren't all the same unless you have special properties in the integrand ##f(x,y,z)##.

Zondrina said:

So you get ##r^2 ≤ 4## which implies that ##|r| ≤ 2##.

But it's a radius. It doesn't have a negative radius.

tiny-tim said:

isn't it obviously π/2 ? and haven't you already written 0 < σ < π/2 ? :confused:

(perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question)​

as an exercise, what do you think the limits are for the given ("negative") octant? :smile:

Well yes it is obvious if you appeal to geometric intuition, I just wanted to know if there was a way to do it algebraically.

Gauss M.D. said:
Well yes it is obvious if you appeal to geometric intuition,

and if you ignore the fact that you can't do it that way.

Gauss M.D. said:
Well yes it is obvious if you appeal to geometric intuition, I just wanted to know if there was a way to do it algebraically.

Sorry, but I've no idea what you mean by "algebraically". :confused:

How could the angle between x and y be anything other than π/2 ?

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you set up the limits of integration for a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a triple integral are typically determined by the boundaries of the three-dimensional region being integrated. These boundaries can be defined by equations, graphs, or geometric shapes.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite triple integral?

A definite triple integral has specific limits of integration and will result in a single numerical value. An indefinite triple integral does not have limits of integration and will result in a function of multiple variables.

4. How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, you must first set up the limits of integration and then use integration techniques to solve the integral. This may involve using substitution, integration by parts, or other methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various applications in science and engineering, including calculating the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in physics to calculate electric and magnetic fields, as well as in economics to model supply and demand functions.