Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Triple integral over a sphere in rectangular coordinates

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following integral:

[tex]
    \iiint \,x\,y\,z\,dV
    [/tex]

Where the boundaries are given by a sphere in the first octant with radius 2.

The question asks for this to be done using rectangular, spherical, and cylindrical coordinates.

I did this fairly easily in spherical and rectangular coordinates, except for the fact that I got two different answers and I can't figure out where I went wrong! That's not a problem though because I can fix that.

3. The attempt at a solution

How would I do this problem in rectangular coordinates? My integral would look like this:

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{{\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}}}\int_{0}^{{\sqrt{4-x^2-z^2}}}\int_{0}^{{\sqrt{4-z^2-y^2}}}xyz\,dz\,dy\,dx
    [/tex]

Which, without some clever transformations and an extremely messy Jacobian calculation, looks unsolvable.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    I think you need to rethink your bounds on that one...

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    How does this look then?

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{{\sqrt{4-z^2-y^2}}}xyz\,dz\,dy\,dx
    [/tex]

5. Apr 1, 2008 #4
    Hmm, MATLAB tells me that's zero.

6. Apr 1, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your dy limit should depend on x.

7. Apr 2, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That would be over a square in the xy-plane rising up to the sphere.

Projecting the sphere into the xy-plane gives you the quarter circle x2+ y2= 4, with [itex]0\le x\le 2[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 2[/itex]. You can let x go from 0 to 2 but then, for each x, y ranges from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook