1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral over a sphere in rectangular coordinates

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following integral:

\iiint \,x\,y\,z\,dV

Where the boundaries are given by a sphere in the first octant with radius 2.

The question asks for this to be done using rectangular, spherical, and cylindrical coordinates.

I did this fairly easily in spherical and rectangular coordinates, except for the fact that I got two different answers and I can't figure out where I went wrong! That's not a problem though because I can fix that.

3. The attempt at a solution

How would I do this problem in rectangular coordinates? My integral would look like this:

Which, without some clever transformations and an extremely messy Jacobian calculation, looks unsolvable.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    I think you need to rethink your bounds on that one...
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    How does this look then?

5. Apr 1, 2008 #4
    Hmm, MATLAB tells me that's zero.
  6. Apr 1, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your dy limit should depend on x.
  7. Apr 2, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That would be over a square in the xy-plane rising up to the sphere.

Projecting the sphere into the xy-plane gives you the quarter circle x2+ y2= 4, with [itex]0\le x\le 2[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 2[/itex]. You can let x go from 0 to 2 but then, for each x, y ranges from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?