Triple Integral over the volume bounded by

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a triple integral for a given function over a volume bounded by certain surfaces. The speaker discusses their attempt at a solution and their concerns about the chosen order of integration. They also mention that their first integral looks fine and provide the correct integral for reference.
jegues

Homework Statement

Evaluate the triple integral of the function [tex]f(x,y,z) = x[/tex] over the volume bounded by the surfaces

[tex]2x + 3y + z =6,x=0,y=0,z=0.[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I sketched the volume bounded by the surfaces and set my integrals.

I question if I chose the right order to integrate because if I would have chosen to integrate the in the x direction first I wonder if it would have made things smoother.

I chose not to do this because then then top bound of my first integral would be fairly ugly, i.e.

[tex]x = \frac{6-3y-z}{2}[/tex]

On the flip side, when I chose to go with the z direction first I got no fractions on my upper bound of my first integral however the integrations that come after are ugly.

What do you guys think? Did I even get my integrals correct?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• MT11-1.jpg
    MT11-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first integral looks fine.
[tex]\int_{x=0}^3 \int_{y = 0}^{-2/3 x + 2} \int_{z = 0}^{6 - 2x - 3y} x~dz~dy~dx[/tex]

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region bounded by three sets of limits.

How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, first determine the limits of integration for each variable, which are the boundaries of the region in each direction. Then, write the integrand as a function of all three variables and use the limits of integration to set up the integral in the correct order (typically starting with the innermost integral).

What is the order of integration in a triple integral?

The order of integration in a triple integral is determined by the shape and orientation of the region being integrated over. In general, it is best to start with the innermost integral and work outwards. This means that for a region that is bounded by two planes and a surface, the order of integration would typically be dzdydx.

What is the difference between a triple integral and a single or double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one direction, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two directions. A triple integral extends this concept to three dimensions by calculating the volume of a three-dimensional region bounded by three sets of limits.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in physics to calculate the flux of a vector field through a three-dimensional region and in engineering to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects.