1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral restricted to first octant.

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the triple integral of function 14xz bounded between z=y^2 and z=8-2x^2-y^2 in the first octant.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the first octant would mean the bottom parameter on all my integral will be zero since (x,y,z)>0. Then I set the equations equal to each other and got 4=x^2+y^2. It appears they intersect in a circle of radius two. I'm having a bit of trouble applying this knowledge to set up the limits of integration. Do I integrate with respect to Z first between 0 and x^2+y^2 and then evaluate dy and dx between zero and tw0?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Setting the two equations for [itex]z[/itex] equal is good. This gives you the projection of the curve, where the two surfaces intersect, to the [itex]xy[/itex] plane. You find that this is a circle around the origin. Thus, since in the first octand [itex]x,y[/itex] must run over the corresponding quarter-circle, and [itex]z[/itex] between the given boundaries.

Hint: It helps to draw the boundary surfaces to get a picture. Mathematica does a nice job, but I guess you can also do that with a free program like gnuplot.

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    okay cool, so I did dzdxdy, dz was bounded by y^2 at the bottom and 8-2x^2-2y^2 at the top, and dy and dx were both from 0 to 2. Is that the correct way to set this up? If it is, screw me because I did the nasty integral by hand and rechecked my work a few times and got the same answer yet my online homework program is saying it's wrong

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have determined that the xy region is a circle of radius two. When you let both x and y go from 0 to 2, aren't you describing a square? You need to fix that.

6. Nov 2, 2013 #5
    what if I make x go from 0 to (4-y^2)^(1/2) and then y go from 0 to 2? is that right?

7. Nov 2, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I'm assuming you have the correct integrand, but I don't know since you never showed your integral. You might find it easier to calculate using polar coordinates.

8. Nov 2, 2013 #7
    is there a way to make wolfram alpha evaluate this X_X seems kind of nasty to do by hand... i'm integrating (14xy)dzdxdy

9. Nov 3, 2013 #8
    in polar coordinates, would dz go from (rsin(theta))^2 to 8-2r^2? and d(theta) go from 0 to pi/2? and dr go from 0 to 8?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted