Triple Integrals - Finding Mass

In summary, the problem is to find the mass, moments along each axis, and the center of mass of a tetrahedron with vertices (-1,0,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,-1,0), and (0,0,2) using the given density function P(x,y,z) = absX + absY +absZ. The approach involves using triple integrals and dividing the integral into four different parts due to the possibility of negative values for x and y. The limits of integration for the four integrals will be different and the mass can be found by integrating the positive values of the density function over the limits. The volume of the tetrah
Hells_Kitchen
The problem is the following:
I need to find the mass, moments along the axis and the center of mass of the tetrahydron (centroid) with vertecies (-1,0,0) (1,0,0) (0,1,0) and
(0,-1,0) and (0,0,2) basically it has a square base with an area of 4 and height 2 units.

You are also given the density function of the solid:

P(x,y,z) = absX + absY +absZ where (X,Y,Z) are variables

Using triple integrals its really easy to find the volume or you can just find it at sight area of base times height however when integrating the density function over that volume I suspect that i have to divide the integral in four different parts since x and y can be either negative or positive while z is always positive so its absolute value will be z at all times.
I was wondering if this approach is right and if it is would the limits of integration for all four different integrals be different and how would i go by finding them?

Plus once the integral of the mass is found i suspect that the moments along each axis Mxy Myz and Mxz will be easier to find by just plugging in each corresponding varialbe in the integrand however i am not quite sure if i would plug in each corresponding variable in all four integrals or just in some of them...?

I hope someone can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be inclined to do it this way: imagine the solid divided into thin slabs on top of one another- each a square. The line from (1, 0, 0) to (0, 0, 2) is given by z= -2x-2 or x= 1- z/2 so the vertex of the "slab" at height z is at (1-z/2, 0, z). It should be clear that the other four vertices are at (-1+z/2, 0, z), (0, 1- z/2, z), and (0, -1+z/2, z). You can integrate a function over the entire pyramid by integrating the function over that "slab" and then integrating with respect to z.

By the way, it seems obvious from symmetry that the center of mass is on the z-axis.

So are you saying that in order to find the mass you would take the triple integral of the positive values of the density function

P(x,y,z) = x + y + z
and having limits of integration the following:
x from -1 +z/2 to 1- z/2
y from -1 +z/2 to 1- z/2
z from 0 to 2
Of course you would have to integrate first either with respect to x or y but LAST with respect to z.
If this would be the case should also be the case the if you take the triple integral of just the volume dV with the above limits of integration you should get 8 units^3. Since the volume of the tetrahydron is just 8 at sight. But if i do the math out for it comes out to be 14/3 cubic units

and you are right its pretty obvious that the centroid will have coordinates (0,0,z(bar))

Last edited:
Anyone can shoot some help to this one?

1. What is the purpose of using triple integrals to find mass?

The purpose of using triple integrals to find mass is to calculate the total mass of a three-dimensional object with varying density. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering applications, such as calculating the mass of a solid object or the distribution of mass within a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you set up a triple integral to find mass?

To set up a triple integral to find mass, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) based on the boundaries of the object or space. Then, you multiply the density function by the infinitesimal volume element (dx dy dz) and integrate over the specified limits for each variable. This results in a numerical value that represents the mass of the object or space.

3. Can triple integrals be used to find the mass of a non-uniform object?

Yes, triple integrals can be used to find the mass of a non-uniform object. In this case, the density function will vary throughout the object, and the limits of integration for each variable may also change. By setting up the triple integral correctly, the mass of the non-uniform object can be accurately calculated.

4. Are there any real-world applications of triple integrals for finding mass?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of triple integrals for finding mass. For example, in physics, triple integrals are commonly used to calculate the mass of a three-dimensional object, such as a planet or a spacecraft. In engineering, triple integrals can be used to determine the mass distribution of a structure, which is important for stability and safety considerations.

5. What are some common challenges when using triple integrals to find mass?

One common challenge when using triple integrals to find mass is determining the correct limits of integration for each variable. This often requires a good understanding of the geometry of the object or space being analyzed. Another challenge is setting up the integrals correctly, as a small mistake can result in an incorrect mass calculation. Additionally, dealing with complex density functions or non-uniform objects can make the integration process more challenging.