1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integration of a Sphere in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem was to find the volume enclosed by a sphere of radius "a" centered on the origin by crafting a triple integral and solving for it using cylindrical coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}[/tex] : Equation for a sphere of radius "a" centered on the origin.

[tex]\iiint\limits_E dV[/tex] : Triple integral for finding volume of a region [tex]E[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the triple integral (but I don't think it's right) and got this: [tex]\frac{4}{3}a^{2}\pi[/tex] ---> Actually, I think I solved the integral right, but I think my bounds are incorrect.

I used the following as my bounds and subsequent iterated integral:

[tex]E=\{ \ (r,\theta,z) \ | \ 0\leq r\leq a, \ 0\leq \theta\leq 2\pi, \ -\sqrt{a^2-r^2}\leq z\leq \sqrt{a^2-r^2} \ \}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}_{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}} dz dr d\theta[/tex]

If my proposed answer isn't right could the problem lie within my bounds? I'm not really great at determining the bounds for iterated integrals yet >.<'

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Zarlucicil! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

erm :redface: … it isn't dz dr dθ, it's … ? :smile:

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Well, your bounds are in fact correct. What's missing is a volume element, namely, you need to have [tex]r drd\theta dz[/tex]. But maybe you just missed it, since without it you probably won't get the final answer you mentioned (which isn't correct by the way - you need [tex]4\pi a^3/3[/tex]).

You can also write [tex]r[/tex] in terms of [tex]z[/tex], which is in my opinion a bit more intuitive. In that case you get:

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{-a}_{a}\int^{0}_{\sqrt{a^2-z^2}} r dr dz d\theta[/tex]

Gives the same answer ofcourse.

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4
    Ahhh I see. Thanks for the replies, I understand what I did wrong now :D. I can't believe I missed the volume element, ughhh. O well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook