1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble finding the acceleration

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    A block of mass m1 is attached to a massless, ideal string. This string wraps around a massless pulley and then wraps around a second pulley that is attached to a block of mass m2 that is free to slide on a frictionless table. The string is firmly anchored to a wall and the whole system is frictionless.

I want to find the vertical acceleration a1 in terms of m1, g and T

I know that the tension T is equal everywhere in the string and also that the acceleration af block m1 must be equal to the acceleration of block m2.

I've tried some calculations but I always seem to get stuck with m2 in my equations.

T = m1*g and T = (m2*a2)/2

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The setup is that a falling weight M1 pulls a mass M2 horizontally - correct.
    The force downward on M1 is just f = M1 g and the force upward from the string is f = M2 a

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Yeah, I figured that one out but that was not the question (but thanks thanks anyway for replying! :)

My problem is to find the a1 in terms off m1, g and T (When T = (m2*a2)/2)

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    Ok. I've got the answer! Was a bit hard but finally.

a1 = (m1-g)/m1

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    are you sure ?
    i did not do the math, but the UNIT of (m1-g)/m1 is not a unit of acceleration

-----------------------------------------------------
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?