Trouble finding the acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of two blocks connected by a string and pulleys, with the goal of finding the vertical acceleration a1 in terms of m1, g, and T. It is mentioned that the tension in the string is equal everywhere and the acceleration of both blocks must be equal. The conversation also mentions some attempted calculations and equations involving m1, m2, and T. Finally, the answer is given as a1 = (m1-g)/m1, which is questioned by another person due to the units not being an acceleration.
danni7070
A block of mass m1 is attached to a massless, ideal string. This string wraps around a massless pulley and then wraps around a second pulley that is attached to a block of mass m2 that is free to slide on a frictionless table. The string is firmly anchored to a wall and the whole system is frictionless.

I want to find the vertical acceleration a1 in terms of m1, g and T

I know that the tension T is equal everywhere in the string and also that the acceleration af block m1 must be equal to the acceleration of block m2.

I've tried some calculations but I always seem to get stuck with m2 in my equations.

T = m1*g and T = (m2*a2)/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The setup is that a falling weight M1 pulls a mass M2 horizontally - correct.
The force downward on M1 is just f = M1 g and the force upward from the string is f = M2 a

Yeah, I figured that one out but that was not the question (but thanks thanks anyway for replying! :)

My problem is to find the a1 in terms off m1, g and T (When T = (m2*a2)/2)

Ok. I've got the answer! Was a bit hard but finally.

a1 = (m1-g)/m1

1. What is acceleration and why is it important?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is important because it helps us understand how an object's speed and direction are changing, which is crucial for predicting its future motion.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are some common units of acceleration?

The most common units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²) and feet per second squared (ft/s²). Other units include kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) and miles per hour squared (mi/h²).

4. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

5. What factors can affect an object's acceleration?

The acceleration of an object can be affected by factors such as the net force acting on it, its mass, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. Other factors such as the object's shape and surface area may also play a role.