Trouble with Electric Potential Boundaries (Computational Physics)

In summary, the electric potential is being calculated for a block that is at a constant voltage. The problem is that the center of the block is not staying at the same voltage as the rest of the block.
CrosisBH
Homework Statement
Recreate the given figure. A block (I don't know what width I'm eyeballing it) of constant potential 1 is centered at the origin, use the Jacobi method to find the potential around the block (and eventually the E-field)
Relevant Equations
$$\Delta V_{end} \leq 10^{-5}$$, meaning the program stops when this is satisfied
$$V_{n+1}(i,j) = \frac{1}{4} [V_n(i-1,j)+V_n(i+1,j)+V_n(i,j-1)+V_n(i,j+1)] $$
DOqqrBR.png

This is in python:
Python:
#ELECTRIC POTENTIAL

from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import Axes3D
from matplotlib import cm
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

dx = 0.1
dy = 0.1

xrange=np.arange(-1,1,dx)
yrange=np.arange(-1,1,dy)

X,Y = np.meshgrid(xrange, yrange)

max_dV = 10e-5

blockRadius = 3

V = np.zeros((int(2/dx),int(2/dy)))
for i in range(-blockRadius,blockRadius):
    for j in range(-blockRadius,blockRadius):
        V[i+int(len(V)/2)][j+int(len(V[0])/2)] = 1

#setting up the boundries for guessing
for i in range(0,len(V)):
    for j in range(0,len(V[0])):
        if(i==0):
            V[i][j] = 1
        if(i==len(V)-1):
            V[i][j] = 1
        if(j==0):
            V[i][j] = 1
        if(j==len(V[0])-1):
            V[i][j] = 1

#Step function
def update_V(iV):
    dV=0
    newV=np.zeros((int(2/dx),int(2/dy)))

midX = int(len(iV)/2)
    midY = int(len(iV[0])/2)

for i in range(1,len(iV)-1):
        for j in range(1,len(iV[0])-1):
            newV[i][j]= (iV[i-1][j]+iV[i+1][j]+iV[i][j-1]+iV[i][j+1])*0.25
            dV += abs(iV[i][j] - newV[i][j])
    return newV, dV#initial plot so i can see what the hell is going on
fig = plt.figure(figsize=plt.figaspect(2.))

ax = fig.add_subplot(2, 1, 1)
ax.plot([-1,1],[0,0], color = 'black')
ax.plot([0,0],[-1,1], color = 'black')
ax.contour(X,Y,V)
ax.set_title("Equipotential Lines (Before Jacobi Method)")
ax.set_xlim(-1,1)
ax.set_ylim(-1,1)

dV = 1
i=0

while(dV>max_dV):
    i+=1
    V, dV = update_V(V)

print("Took ", i, " steps")

fig = plt.figure(figsize=plt.figaspect(2.))
ax = fig.add_subplot(2, 1, 1)
ax.plot([-1,1],[0,0], color = 'black')
ax.plot([0,0],[-1,1], color = 'black')
ax.contour(X,Y,V)
ax.set_title("Equipotential Lines")
ax.set_xlim(-1,1)
ax.set_ylim(-1,1)ax = fig.add_subplot(2, 1, 2, projection='3d')
ax.set_title("Perspective Plot")

surf = ax.plot_surface(X, Y, V, cmap=cm.coolwarm,
                       linewidth=4, antialiased=False, rstride=1, cstride=1,)

plt.xlim(-1,1)
plt.ylim(-1,1)

plt.show()

Capture.PNG

(Obviously there's a center issue I'm working on at the moment). This is the plot I generate. I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to handle it. The problem states that the block is a at a constant voltage, so it doesn't dissipate like this, so the center needs to stay the same. I tried treating the block as a boundary so it doesn't mess with the voltage in there, but only affects the voltage outside the block. My first try was checking if it would be updating in the region in the box by:

if(not i in range(int(len(iV)/2)-blockRadius, int(len(iV)/2)+blockRadius)):
if (not j in range(int(len(iV[0])/2)-blockRadius,int(len(iV[0])/2)+blockRadius)):

before doing the calculation in update_V. This produced:
Capture.PNG

Interesting but not correct

I tried another (bad) approach. Where I separated it into 4 regions around the box and used 4 for loops. This produced this beautiful hot mess:
unknown.png

This damn box is going to be the end of me. What would be a good way to approach this boundary problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t say what has gone wrong, but perhaps it’s more in the nature of a programming error than a physics problem. If you set the nodes that are on the surface of the block to V and then never update them, I see no reason this shouldn’t work.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is a scalar quantity and is often described as the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field.

2. What is the significance of electric potential boundaries?

Electric potential boundaries are important in computational physics because they represent regions where the electric potential is discontinuous. This can cause difficulties in numerical simulations and can lead to inaccurate results if not properly accounted for.

3. How are electric potential boundaries typically handled in computational physics?

There are several methods for handling electric potential boundaries in computational physics, including using boundary conditions, adding artificial boundaries, or using specialized algorithms such as the finite element method.

4. What are some common challenges when dealing with electric potential boundaries?

Some common challenges when dealing with electric potential boundaries include accurately representing the discontinuity in the potential, ensuring numerical stability, and properly accounting for the effects of the boundary on the surrounding electric field.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my simulations when dealing with electric potential boundaries?

To improve the accuracy of simulations involving electric potential boundaries, it is important to carefully choose the appropriate method for handling the boundaries and to use a fine enough mesh to accurately capture the behavior of the electric field near the boundaries. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the results to ensure they are physically meaningful.