1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with Limits

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    (X^4-15X^3+32X+372X-1440)/X^2-X-30 as X approaches 6

I know that somehow I am supposed to be able to factor this, but I'm having trouble doing so, and am stuck with a TI-82 that isn't very much help, either. Could someone please show me how to do this by hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

EDIT: Sorry, I was blind to the answer. mathwonk has it right in the next post...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  4. Jan 16, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the root factor theorem says that if x=6 makes a polynomial zero, then x-6 is a factor, and vice versa.

5. Jan 17, 2007 #4
    did you write the question correctly?
    is the third term in the numerator [itex]32x^2[/itex]?
    then it becomes
    [tex]\frac{x^4-15x^3+32x^2+372x-1440}{x^2-x-30}=\frac{(x+5)(x-8)(x-6)^2}{(x+5)(x-6)}=(x-8)(x-6)[/tex]

and this approaches 0 as x approaches 6.

6. Jan 17, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I would have a feeling you assumption is correct, murshid. Nice work

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6
    Thank you so much for your help!! All of you! It is very much apprecitated!

8. Jan 18, 2007 #7
    Since the trouble was originally that you got 0/0 by plugging 6 in directly, you could also have used L'Hopital's rule. Of course, it is conceptually more elementary to factor the polynomial, but it may actually be less work to do 1 derivative than to do the polynomial long division.

Just offering an alternative.

--Stuart Anderson

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?