Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with my Compaq Presario

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I got my machine a year ago. A couple of days ago I switched it on and nothing. Tried a few more times pushing the button and finally it switched on. This has been the case now. It's intermitten. I guess maybe it's just the on/off switch. Not sure though. You know, I'm quite a hacker and would think nothing of pulling it apart. Hate to get out the old multi-meter though and start troubleshooting the electronics. I'm disappointed. Had an HP for 10 years and no problems. Think I'll make a backup now that it's on . . .

Any ideas anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

backup done . . . you know, think I'll just duct-tape a regular household light switch onto the side of my pc, wires feeding back into the on/off circuit. That'll work. Bet nobody would want to steal that PC. If I do I'll post a picture of my setup. I'm very proud of my work you know.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know, I'm having ideas now. Why not just wire this so that when I turn on my PC, the lights in my room go on? Better yet, when I walk in my room and switch the lights on, my PC turns on! I could do that. The only problem I see is to make sure not to get the circuits switched. Know what happens when you put 120v AC into an AND gate? It turns into a WAS gate. Common, be honest, you guys have made them before haven't you?

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    (0_o) all youd need to do would be make a switch to also initiate a wireless connection that then sends a signal to your laptop to turn itself on

6. Apr 3, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello TsunamiJoe.

I'm just funnin' around. True hackers don't worry much about blowing their PCs away. Once I blew a disc drive (corporate one) away just to verify the backup was reliable. That's confidence! Another time I blew one away by a single mis-placed bit in the directory header. Just couldn't read it after that. Yea, I'm a hacker. Got a backup of important stuf, and oh yea, the operating system too on DVD. Just reload the apps if it crashes. Well, may have some configuring to do to set up the internet configs. Let's see anything else? Guess I'd loose all my favorite stuf on explorer, maybe some good programs I've downloaded from the net too. What else? Let's see, all the updates to the op sys (can reload those too), what else? All my addresses in e-mail. Anything else? All the above is non-critical to me.

Now how come my lights don't work now . . .

7. Apr 3, 2005 #6
    lol SD i was merely being sarcastic with little realism...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?