Trouble with my Compaq Presario

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
In summary, the author's machine stopped working a few days ago and he is not sure what is wrong. He thinks it is just the on/off switch, but he is not sure. He is disappointed because he had an HP for 10 years without any problems. He made a backup now and is thinking of wiring his PC to turn on when he walks in the room. He is also thinking of making a switch that will also initiate a wireless connection and send a signal to his laptop to turn it on.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well, I got my machine a year ago. A couple of days ago I switched it on and nothing. Tried a few more times pushing the button and finally it switched on. This has been the case now. It's intermitten. I guess maybe it's just the on/off switch. Not sure though. You know, I'm quite a hacker and would think nothing of pulling it apart. Hate to get out the old multi-meter though and start troubleshooting the electronics. I'm disappointed. Had an HP for 10 years and no problems. Think I'll make a backup now that it's on . . .

Any ideas anyone?

Computer science news on Phys.org
backup done . . . you know, think I'll just duct-tape a regular household light switch onto the side of my pc, wires feeding back into the on/off circuit. That'll work. Bet nobody would want to steal that PC. If I do I'll post a picture of my setup. I'm very proud of my work you know.

You know, I'm having ideas now. Why not just wire this so that when I turn on my PC, the lights in my room go on? Better yet, when I walk in my room and switch the lights on, my PC turns on! I could do that. The only problem I see is to make sure not to get the circuits switched. Know what happens when you put 120v AC into an AND gate? It turns into a WAS gate. Common, be honest, you guys have made them before haven't you?

(0_o) all youd need to do would be make a switch to also initiate a wireless connection that then sends a signal to your laptop to turn itself on

TsunamiJoe said:
(0_o) all youd need to do would be make a switch to also initiate a wireless connection that then sends a signal to your laptop to turn itself on

Hello TsunamiJoe.

I'm just funnin' around. True hackers don't worry much about blowing their PCs away. Once I blew a disc drive (corporate one) away just to verify the backup was reliable. That's confidence! Another time I blew one away by a single mis-placed bit in the directory header. Just couldn't read it after that. Yea, I'm a hacker. Got a backup of important stuf, and oh yea, the operating system too on DVD. Just reload the apps if it crashes. Well, may have some configuring to do to set up the internet configs. Let's see anything else? Guess I'd loose all my favorite stuf on explorer, maybe some good programs I've downloaded from the net too. What else? Let's see, all the updates to the op sys (can reload those too), what else? All my addresses in e-mail. Anything else? All the above is non-critical to me.

Now how come my lights don't work now . . .

lol SD i was merely being sarcastic with little realism...

What is causing my Compaq Presario to keep freezing?

There could be several reasons for your computer freezing, such as a lack of memory, outdated software or drivers, or a virus. It is recommended to run a virus scan and update your software and drivers to see if that resolves the issue.

Why is my Compaq Presario running slow?

A slow computer can be caused by a variety of factors, including a lack of memory, too many programs running at once, or a cluttered hard drive. Try closing unnecessary programs and running a disk cleanup to free up space and improve performance.

How can I upgrade the storage capacity of my Compaq Presario?

There are a few options for upgrading your storage capacity, such as adding an external hard drive or upgrading your internal hard drive. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to your computer's manual for specific instructions on how to upgrade your storage.

My Compaq Presario won't turn on, what should I do?

First, make sure the power cord is securely connected to both the computer and a working outlet. If the computer still won't turn on, try removing the battery and holding down the power button for a few seconds before replacing the battery and attempting to turn it on again. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware problem and you should seek professional assistance.

How can I reset my Compaq Presario to factory settings?

To reset your Compaq Presario to factory settings, you will need to access the system recovery options. The steps for this process may vary depending on your specific model, so it is recommended to refer to your computer's manual or contact technical support for assistance.