Trouble with Newton's Third Law of Motion

In summary, the two forces acting on two different bodies never cancel out, and the principle that momentum is always conserved in any interaction applies.
Daniel Wqw
Please forgive me for my naiveté but I've got to resolve a conceptual problem I'm having.

If every action has an equal and opposite reaction then why don't all the forces in the universe cancel each other out.

For example if i am in space and I hit a ball with force X then the ball reacts back with force X which would mean the forces cancel each other meaning there would be no resultant force and therefore no movement. I know this is nonsense but I'm just giving you an idea of the conceptual difficulty I'm having.

If anyone could resolve this I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Daniel Wqw said:
Please forgive me for my naiveté but I've got to resolve a conceptual problem I'm having.

If every action has an equal and opposite reaction then why don't all the forces in the universe cancel each other out.

For example if i am in space and I hit a ball with force X then the ball reacts back with force X which would mean the forces cancel each other meaning there would be no resultant force and therefore no movement. I know this is nonsense but I'm just giving you an idea of the conceptual difficulty I'm having.

If anyone could resolve this I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Hi Daniel.

Action and reaction forces acts on two different bodies so they never cancel out.

Likes Philethan
The two forces are not applied to the same body. When kicking a ball you act on the ball with force F and the ball acts on your foot with force -F.

Consider this scenario. You slap your friend. Your friend slaps you back with the same force. Equal and opposite. If they were to cancel each other out, you wouldn't feel a thing. Try it :-p

Likes NotASmurf and A.T.
siddharth23 said:
Consider this scenario. You slap your friend. Your friend slaps you back with the same force. Equal and opposite. If they were to cancel each other out, you wouldn't feel a thing.
Yeah, the right way to cancel forces is to have two friends slap you simultaneously from opposite sides. Report back if you felt anything.

I'm sorry but I still really don't understand. Could somebody give a physical example please?

Daniel Wqw said:
I'm sorry but I still really don't understand. Could somebody give a physical example please?
A block of mass M1 is sliding on a frictionless surface with constant velocity V. It collides with a stationary block of mass M2.
During the collision (duration t), block M1 exerts force F1 on block M2. At the same time, block M2 exerts force F2 on block M1. $$\vec{F_1}=-\vec{F_2}$$
As a result of the two forces, each acting on a different block during the collision, block M1 will have lost momentum and block M2 will have gained momentum. Total momentum is conserved.

Daniel Wqw said:
Could somebody give a physical example please?
Search the forum or the www for "horse cart paradox".

A.T. said:
Search the forum or the www for "horse cart paradox".
YES! I got it. You only resolve one objects forces, not two objects. If you resolve two objects forces the forces do cancel but if you resolve each objects forces individually then you get the right result.
Ok my fault coming from an incorrect assumption you can resolve two objects forces together when the whole principle of resolving forces rests on the fact that they're all acting on one object! At least I think this explains my error.
I actually realized this from thinking about the horse cart paradox which I found.
What everyone says actually makes sense now and I didn't see the implications of the fact the opposite forces are acting on different objects!

Thanks everyone for your help except for siddharth23's advice which, if I didn't know better, would create more problems than I'm trying to solve :)

Likes Chestermiller
Daniel Wqw said:
Thanks everyone for your help except for siddharth23's advice which, if I didn't know better, would create more problems than I'm trying to solve :)
Haha. I wouldn't expect you to do it. Just imagine it. Anyways, as long as you got it..

Daniel Wqw said:
If you consider the force on the two bodies together by looking at the acceleration of the centre of mass of the two interacting bodies, the forces do indeed result in a net zero force (on the two bodies as a whole). That leads to the principle that momentum is always conserved in any interaction. If you take the universe as a whole (which is a bit hard to define given present knowledge) the net force on the universe due to all interactions would be zero. So in that sense all the forces in the universe should sum to zero and, in that sense, cancel each other out.

AM

example if i am in space and I hit a ball with force X then the ball reacts back with force X which would mean the forces cancel each other meaning there would be no resultant force and therefore no movement.

The forces don't cancel because they act on different objects. One acts on the ball and the other acts on you. You go in the opposite direction to the ball.

the way i see it is, if there wasn't an equal but opposite reaction, the ball would simply pass through the object you used to hit it with. the equal but opposite reaction means that the ball won't move relative to the object used to hit it with during the contact of the two. hope this helps a little

1. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

2. Why is Newton's Third Law of Motion important?

This law is important because it explains how objects interact with each other and how forces work in the physical world. It helps us understand why objects move or don't move, and it is the basis for many engineering and scientific principles.

3. Can Newton's Third Law of Motion be violated?

No, this law is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed situations. However, there are some cases where it may seem like the law is being violated, but this is usually due to external factors or forces that are not accounted for.

4. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion apply to everyday life?

This law can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when walking or running. When you push against the ground with your feet, the ground pushes back with an equal force, allowing you to move forward. It also explains how rockets are able to launch into space by pushing against the ground with a high amount of force.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

No, there are no exceptions to this law. However, there are some special cases where it may seem like the law is not being followed, such as when objects are in free fall or when one object has significantly more mass than the other. In these cases, the equal and opposite forces may not be easily observed, but they are still present.