Trouble with the integral Help

• Thread starter depecheSoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is having trouble solving a specific integral from a textbook. They share the problem and the incorrect result they have obtained. They ask for help and another person suggests using polynomial long division and partial fractions to solve it.
depecheSoul
Trouble with the integral! Help

While I was working some examples of integrals from book, I found this example:

[itex]\int {{x^3-1}\over{4x^3+x}}[/itex]
and I can not solve it, because I get always incorrect result.

Result is: (from book)

[itex]{x \over 4}+{{x \over 16}*{ln ({{x^{16}}\over{(2x-1)^7(2x+1)^9}}})}[/itex]

Can you help me solve it!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Before you do anything with the integral, take polynomial long division, since the degree of the numerator >= degree of the denominator.

depecheSoul said:
While I was working some examples of integrals from book, I found this example:

[itex]\int {{x^3-1}\over{4x^3+x}}[/itex]
and I can not solve it, because I get always incorrect result.

Result is: (from book)

[itex]{x \over 4}+{{x \over 16}*{ln ({{x^{16}}\over{(2x-1)^7(2x+1)^9}}})}[/itex]

Can you help me solve it!

Thanks.

You can notice x^3 - 1 is of the form "a^3-b^3". You can factorize ;) !

And you can factorize: 4x^3 + x.

It is a partial fraction.

Good luck ;) !

Thank you!

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function when given its derivative.

Why do people have trouble with integrals?

Integrals can be challenging because they involve multiple steps and require a good understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus. Additionally, there are various techniques for solving integrals, so it can be confusing for beginners to know which method to use.

What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, misapplying integration rules, and not simplifying the final answer. It is essential to double-check each step and be familiar with the rules and techniques for solving integrals.

How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving integrals. Start with simple integrals and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to study and understand the different integration techniques and when to apply them.

Are there any resources available to help with integrals?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with integrals, including textbooks, online tutorials, and videos. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to practice solving integrals with others.