1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with trig identities in solving integral.

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{sec^{2}x}{tan^{4}x}[/itex]dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the answer as -1/3 cot^3(x) + C listed.

All the intermediate steps are given, but the first one is they have converted the sec/tan integral in to:

[itex]\int[/itex]{cot^{2}x}{csc^{2}x} dx

I am a little confused by the trig identities used and manipulated to get this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    you can just write it all in terms of sines and cosines and then reduce it to get that.
    without using any identities

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Hint: what's the derivative of [itex]tan(x)[/itex]?

5. Aug 8, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\frac{\sec^{2}(x)}{\tan^{4}(x)}=\frac{1}{\cos^2(x)} \frac {\cos^4(x)}{\sin^4(x)}[/tex]

Try it from there.

6. Aug 8, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Following TheoMcCloskey's hint, the problem can be done without converting to sines and cosines. After a fairly simple substitution, the integral looks like
    [tex]\int u^{-4}du[/tex]

7. Aug 8, 2011 #6
    Thanks for the responses guys, yes the d/dx (tan x) substitution can be done to get a result of

-1/3*1/tan^3 x + C

But there's that other result which is bugging me, I will take a closer look at the post with the other identities as I want to see how I can get the cot^2csc^2 result.

8. Aug 9, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Taking it one step further ...

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sec^{2}(x)}{\tan^{4}(x)}=\frac{1}{\cos^2(x) } \frac {\cos^4(x)}{\sin^4(x)}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{\cos^2(x) }\frac {\cos^2(x)}{\sin^2(x)}\frac {\cos^2(x)}{\sin^2(x)}[/itex]​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook