Trouble working out the GM product of Earth: u = GM.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
namtip
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Don't laugh! I am scratching my head. Somewhere I am doing something very stupid, but I just don't know where. My problem is that my result of G*M of Earth is different than the accepted result of G*M.

Accepted value of G*M: μ = 398600 km^3 s^-2



Homework Equations



μ = GM

G = 6.673*10^-11 N m^2 kg^-2

M (Earth) = 5.977*10^24 kg



The Attempt at a Solution



μ = GM = 6.673*10^-11 * 5.977*10^24 = 3.9884521*10^14

So my results show μ = 3.9884521*10^14, while the accepted results give 3.986*10^8 (after allowing for the km to m conversion)

Where have all my extra zeros come from??! I am sure this is something really stupid.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a conversion error. Wikipedia gives 398,600.44 km3s−2. To get the value in m3s−2 you need to multiply by (1000 m/km)3. I suspect you forgot the cube.
 
There are 1000 meters in a kilometer, so 10002=106 square meters in a square kilometer, 10003=109 cubic meters in a cubic kilometer.

You are dividing by 106 when you should be dividing by 109.
 
Ah, ok, so my problem here appears to lie with my grappling with the units. My answer comes out as 3.9884521*10^14 m^3 s^-2 (metres!) so, if I converted that into km^3 s^-2 I would have to divide that by 1000^3, thereby ending up with the accepted value! This would explain my confusion... schoolboy error...:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot guys!