Trouble working out the GM product of Earth: u = GM.

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the accepted value of G*M for Earth and the result obtained through calculations. After some discussion, it is determined that the difference is due to a conversion error and the accepted value is converted from cubic meters to cubic kilometers.
namtip

Homework Statement

Don't laugh! I am scratching my head. Somewhere I am doing something very stupid, but I just don't know where. My problem is that my result of G*M of Earth is different than the accepted result of G*M.

Accepted value of G*M: μ = 398600 km^3 s^-2

Homework Equations

μ = GM

G = 6.673*10^-11 N m^2 kg^-2

M (Earth) = 5.977*10^24 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

μ = GM = 6.673*10^-11 * 5.977*10^24 = 3.9884521*10^14

So my results show μ = 3.9884521*10^14, while the accepted results give 3.986*10^8 (after allowing for the km to m conversion)

Where have all my extra zeros come from??! I am sure this is something really stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a conversion error. Wikipedia gives 398,600.44 km3s−2. To get the value in m3s−2 you need to multiply by (1000 m/km)3. I suspect you forgot the cube.

There are 1000 meters in a kilometer, so 10002=106 square meters in a square kilometer, 10003=109 cubic meters in a cubic kilometer.

You are dividing by 106 when you should be dividing by 109.

Ah, ok, so my problem here appears to lie with my grappling with the units. My answer comes out as 3.9884521*10^14 m^3 s^-2 (metres!) so, if I converted that into km^3 s^-2 I would have to divide that by 1000^3, thereby ending up with the accepted value! This would explain my confusion... schoolboy error...:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot guys!

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself. It's common for mistakes to happen in scientific calculations, and it's important to troubleshoot and identify the source of the discrepancy.

One potential source of error could be the units used in your calculation. Make sure that all units are consistent and converted properly. For example, the value of G you used is in N m^2 kg^-2, while the value of M is in kg. This could result in an incorrect unit for μ.

Another possibility could be a transcription error. Double check all the numbers and make sure they are entered correctly into your calculator or equation.

Finally, it's always a good idea to compare your result with the accepted value and see if they are within a reasonable range. In this case, your result is significantly higher than the accepted value, so it's important to check for any mistakes in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What does the equation u = GM represent?

The equation u = GM represents the gravitational potential energy between two objects, where u is the potential energy, G is the universal gravitational constant, and M is the mass of one of the objects.

2. How is the GM product of Earth calculated?

The GM product of Earth is calculated by multiplying the gravitational constant G by the mass of Earth, which is approximately 5.972 × 10²⁴ kg. This product is then used in various equations to determine the gravitational potential and other properties of Earth.

3. Why is the GM product of Earth important?

The GM product of Earth is important because it allows us to calculate the gravitational potential energy, gravitational force, and other properties of Earth. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of objects in Earth's gravitational field and for space exploration.

4. How does the GM product of Earth compare to other planets?

The GM product of Earth is relatively large compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, the GM product of Mars is about one-tenth of Earth's, while the GM product of Jupiter is approximately 318 times greater.

5. Can the GM product of Earth change over time?

Yes, the GM product of Earth can change over time due to various factors such as changes in Earth's mass or variations in the gravitational constant. However, these changes are very small and have a minimal impact on the calculations and understanding of Earth's gravitational properties.