Troubleshooting My Discman: Lens Smudged or Something Else?

In summary, the speaker's discman has stopped working and displays "No Disc" when a CD is inserted. They are considering cleaning the lens but are unsure if they should buy a cleaning kit or a new discman. The suggestion of using sandpaper on the lens is quickly dismissed and the speaker recommends trying to clean it with tissue paper first before buying a new one, which can be found for a reasonable price on Ebay.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My discman has stopped working recently. When I put a CD in and push play, the disc spins for a while and eventually the display reads "No Disc." It occurred to me that maybe my discman isn't recognizing CDs because the lens is smudged, but I'm not sure. Any advice? Should I shell out some money for cleaning kit (if they have them), or should I just spring for a new discman?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What about using some sand paper on the lense? Hmm, maybe not. Anyway, first I would try to use some soft tissue paper If that doesn't work, just buy a new one. I'm sure you can find one for no more than $20-30 USD. Try looking on Ebay.

Here is a nice cd player:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076568054&category=15054

Last edited by a moderator:

It is possible that the lens on your discman is smudged, which could be causing the issue you are experiencing. Before purchasing a cleaning kit or a new discman, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try.

First, try cleaning the lens with a soft, lint-free cloth. Be gentle and avoid using any harsh chemicals. If this does not solve the problem, try using a different CD to see if the issue persists. If the discman still does not recognize the CD, it could be a problem with the lens or the CD drive itself.

In this case, it may be worth investing in a cleaning kit specifically designed for discmans. These kits often come with a cleaning solution and a special brush to gently clean the lens. If the issue persists after using the cleaning kit, it may be time to consider purchasing a new discman.

Before making a decision, it may also be helpful to consult with a technician or do some research online to see if others have experienced similar issues with your specific discman model. This can help you determine if it is a common issue that can be easily fixed or if it is a sign that it is time for a new discman.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase a cleaning kit or a new discman will depend on the extent of the issue and your budget. It may be worth trying a cleaning kit first before spending money on a new device. Good luck with troubleshooting your discman!

Related to Troubleshooting My Discman: Lens Smudged or Something Else?

1. What could be causing my Discman's lens to become smudged?

There could be several reasons why your Discman's lens is smudged. Dust and fingerprints are the most common culprits, but the lens may also be scratched or damaged.

2. How can I clean the lens of my Discman?

You can use a soft, dry cloth or a lens cleaning solution specifically designed for electronics to gently wipe the lens. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the lens.

3. Why is my Discman skipping or not playing properly even after cleaning the lens?

If your Discman is still not working properly after cleaning the lens, the issue may be caused by a damaged or malfunctioning laser, a dirty or damaged disc, or a problem with the internal components of the device.

4. Can I fix my Discman's lens myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix the lens of your Discman yourself, as it requires specialized tools and knowledge. It is best to take the device to a professional technician for repair.

5. How can I prevent my Discman's lens from getting smudged in the future?

To prevent your Discman's lens from getting smudged, always handle the device with clean hands and avoid touching the lens directly. You can also keep the device in a protective case when not in use to prevent dust and dirt from accumulating on the lens.