True story

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
Danger said:
What the ****?!! What the hell ever happened to mineral rights? Or is that just a North American concept?:confused: Here, any land that you own goes to the centre of the earth; you therefore also own anything contained therein.
I think it is true that a company could mine under a house in the Uk and the residents could do nowt about it, as long as the mining operation was legit.

Danger
Gold Member
Well... that just sucks. :grumpy:

Evo
Mentor
Averagesupernova said:
I have to ask how easy it was to turn the water off? Who installed the pipe from the meter to the house? Was it the water dept? And how did they know whose side of the meter it was on while on the phone?
Because I told them it was flooding my basement, so he knew the break was near the house. :frown:

The builder ran substandard pipe and a joint broke.

Moonbear is correct, the have a pole that they stick into the hole, one turn and the water is off. Takes 2 seconds.

turbo
Gold Member
Evo said:
Who pays for fixing it and any damage depends on which side of the meter the leak is on (at least here in the US)
Your water company is generous. In our last house a leak developed in the cellar (under the cellar slab) and the water company refused to look for the leak or help fix it because it was on my side of the shut-off valve, even though it was on their side of the meter. I had many probe-holes drilled and several large ones jackhammered as the plumber tried to find the leak so he could fix it. That was very costly.

wolram
Gold Member
turbo-1 said:
Your water company is generous. In our last house a leak developed in the cellar (under the cellar slab) and the water company refused to look for the leak or help fix it because it was on my side of the shut-off valve, even though it was on their side of the meter. I had many probe-holes drilled and several large ones jackhammered as the plumber tried to find the leak so he could fix it. That was very costly.
Do you guys not have insurance? when we had a leaking main we found the
metal pipe badly corroded, so we took out insurance for 20 quid a year, in
the policy it states that a corroded pipe will be replaced, so may be in a year or two we will have a new pipe.

Danger said:
If this was indeed 'her own' main, she certainly wouldn't have called Severn Trent to investigate its leakage.
You think?!? I'm working for Northumbrian Water over the summer and the number of calls we get from people asking where their private pipes are located... I DON'T KNOW! THAT'S WHY THEY'RE PRIVATE!!!!

Danger said:
She would have contacted whoever did the initial illegal hookup into the town supply (which would have been quite a feat of subterfuge on its own).
???

Danger said:
It's more likely that the water authority screwed up in their record-keeping and lost track of where all of their pipes were.
Yeah... that whole post was a joke btw. I just needed to tie it into the hosepipe ban. I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS KIND OF SCRUTINY!!!!

How the hell are you anyway?

wolram said:
We do not have water meters in the UK, not around here any way, we just get charged a huge sum if we use water or not, the water board can even charge for a spring on your own land, the only free water is rain.
wE DO HAVE-oop fugging cappy lock- them and we'll be seeing more of them too. It actually works out more profitable for water companies to charge 'measured' than unmeasured, presumably because we are an awfy wasteful country. Blocks of flats for instance will usually have a water meter. If you can give me your grid reference I can uh... perhaps find your nearest one and uh... locate it for you. If you ever wanna see one, that is. I AM GOD OF THE PIPES!!!!!!! THERE IS NOTHING I CAN'T DO!

Danger
Gold Member
El Hombre Invisible said:
Yeah... that whole post was a joke btw. I just needed to tie it into the hosepipe ban. I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS KIND OF SCRUTINY!!!!
On a physics site? If you don't want scrutiny, you're in the wrong place. :tongue:

El Hombre Invisible said:
How the hell are you anyway?
Doin' okay, chum. Adjusting to domestic life nicely, but I sure miss having a workshop and library and some place to park things. :rolleyes:
On the upside, she likes to cook.

Danger said:
Doin' okay, chum. Adjusting to domestic life nicely, but I sure miss having a workshop and library and some place to park things. :rolleyes:
That is an upside... if she CAN cook. If she can't, turn the kitchen into a workshop-cum-library. And as your attorney I advise you to get a motorcycle.

Danger
Gold Member
She most certainly can cook. :tongue2: I haven't used the can opener more than half a dozen times since I moved in, and that was for salmon or tuna.
The kitchen isn't big enough for either a library or a shop, but it has had to fill in a bit once in a while. W wasn't too pleased to catch me soldering an LED circuit on her cutting board, but she gave in when I pointed out that it was either that, her glass-topped coffee table, or her linen tablecloth. :biggrin:
Yeah, I'd love a bike, but...

wolram
Gold Member
Hey Danger, the new ducati rr will be out soon, 205bhp the nearest you could get to a street legal race bike ony 37,500 quid, and you get a 3yr guarantee. :!!)

Danger
Gold Member
I'm not a good enough rider for something like that. I'll go like stink in a car, but bikes kinda scare me. I found the basic old 750 Cow pretty comfortable, but my favourite that I ever rode was a 600 BMW.

wolram
Gold Member
:yuck: :grumpy: :eek: :surprised :tongue2:

How could you???? you should never use the b word in front of a brit biker.

Danger
Gold Member
:tongue:

If it's any comfort to you, I was trying to convince my cousin to sell me his 750 Commando about 30 years ago. He wouldn't, though.

turbo
Gold Member
Yeah, BMW had a sweet-riding R60 back in the early 70's. My friend's was the burnt-orange color with the mini fairing like a cafe racer. I've owned only Harleys for the past 20+ years, but if it's any consoloation, Woolie, the one of the most spirited singles I've ever ridden was a Manx Norton. I didn't buy it because of the scarcity of parts around here, and instead went with a Honda 450 CL - a nicely geared street scrambler that would shock the 650s on the green lights.

wolram
Gold Member
A manx norton :!!) oh i wish, you should have bought it turbo, replica parts are made here, i think a complete engine is available now, but costs loadsa money.

turbo
Gold Member
wolram said:
A manx norton :!!) oh i wish, you should have bought it turbo, replica parts are made here, i think a complete engine is available now, but costs loadsa money.
Do the replica engines still have the external valve-train drive? You know, the one that spits oil all over your right leg? :rofl: Yeah, if I had the money to buy that as a project AND buy the used CL450 for reliable cheap transportation, I would have done so, and tinkered it little by little. My wife and I were newly married, just starting out with used furniture, rented apartment, and low-paying jobs, so I wasn't in a position to do that.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
Does that mean the next time you post a photo of yourself, you'll have added on a few pounds (or kilograms)? :biggrin:

Danger
Gold Member
Possibly. :uhh:

On the other hand, she provides a way to work it off. :devil:

wolram
Gold Member
turbo-1 said:
Do the replica engines still have the external valve-train drive? You know, the one that spits oil all over your right leg? :rofl: Yeah, if I had the money to buy that as a project AND buy the used CL450 for reliable cheap transportation, I would have done so, and tinkered it little by little. My wife and I were newly married, just starting out with used furniture, rented apartment, and low-paying jobs, so I wasn't in a position to do that.
British bikes all ways drible fluid down your leg, that is the way you know that they love you :rofl:

turbo
Gold Member
wolram said:
British bikes all ways drible fluid down your leg, that is the way you know that they love you :rofl:
I've ridden lots of British bikes - that one must have had a wicked crush on me!

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Because I told them it was flooding my basement, so he knew the break was near the house. :frown:

The builder ran substandard pipe and a joint broke.

Moonbear is correct, the have a pole that they stick into the hole, one turn and the water is off. Takes 2 seconds.
Ok. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to this. Looks like it's a bit off topic. Anyway, the point is that it is easy for THEM to turn it off. It is not easy for John Q. Homeowner to do it. Water can leak upstream and follow a pipe for several hundred feet. I've had it happen. I'd fight this. If it is supposed to be the homeowners responsibility, then they shouldn't care if you dug up their crappy valve and do something different. But, I know the answer to that proposal. They can't have it both ways.