Trying to build a fusor at home.

• Thread starter Fusiontron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Home
In summary, the speaker is asking for tips on starting a fusion project as a hobby and is skeptical about its potential as a power source. They mention the possibility of scaling it up to produce power, but the other speaker explains that it is not feasible due to energy losses. The speaker also notes that the fusor is capable of achieving fusion and is commonly used as a neutron source. However, it is not able to produce more energy than it consumes.
Fusiontron
Any tips on how to start (I've already looked at www.fusor.net) and what the projected costs would be? I'm looking to complete this by the end of the year.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this really worked it would solve all our power problems! I am very skeptical.

I'm not looking to generate any legitimate amount of power, lol. I just want to do this as a hobby and hopefully get it to work at least a little. Something like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it really worked, then it could be scaled up to be a power source. That's why I am very skeptical.

mathman said:
If it really worked, then it could be scaled up to be a power source. That's why I am very skeptical.

Lol, he's not trying to produce power, just to achieve fusion, which a fusor is easily capable of if done correctly. It isn't possible to scale it up to produce power , as there are far too many losses involving the grid.

Fusiontron, it really depends on your skillset and the amount of time you have. You can spend months looking for the best deals and going to places to find working "junk" that you can use and spend next to nothing, or you can spend a lot less time looking by buying used equipment that can be found online pretty easily.

mathman said:
The fusor does work! It's well known for that. It does fuse deuterium and a few more, produce helium and neutrons and all the expected stuff. It's also used as a neutron source.

What is doesn't do is produce more energy than it consumes.

1. How difficult is it to build a fusor at home?

Building a fusor at home is a complex and challenging task, as it requires a deep understanding of physics, electronics, and engineering. It also involves working with high voltages and potentially dangerous materials. Therefore, it is not a recommended project for beginners.

2. What materials are needed to build a fusor?

The main components needed for building a fusor include a vacuum chamber, a high voltage power supply, a gas supply, and a deuterium source. Other materials such as electrodes, insulation, and gauges may also be required depending on the design of the fusor.

3. How much does it cost to build a fusor at home?

The cost of building a fusor can vary greatly depending on the materials used and whether you already have some necessary equipment. However, it can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

4. Is it safe to build a fusor at home?

Building a fusor at home can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. High voltages and vacuum chambers can pose serious risks, and it is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the potential hazards and how to safely handle them.

5. What is the purpose of building a fusor at home?

The main purpose of building a fusor at home is for educational and experimental purposes. It allows individuals to learn about nuclear fusion and plasma physics by conducting their own experiments. However, it is not a practical device for producing energy as it requires more energy to operate than it produces.